The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I coach in elementary and middle school league. I need to know what the High School penalty is for a technical foul assessed to a coach. Is it 2 points and the ball, or two free throws and the ball.

We are supposed to be playing under High School rules, but we have a rule book provided for particular rules that are different. But it doesn't spell out the T's.

The situation: A player continued to play after 5 fouls. The referee and Gym Supervisor/scorekeeper discovered this, and call a T on the coach. The coach (who is also the commisioner of this league) said it was two shots and the ball. At the time, I went along with him, because he was the commissioner. I confess I don't know the official high school rule on this. However in our rule book, if a player does not play in one half, it specifically states the coach is assessed a T, and the other team is awarded 2 points and the ball. So regardless of the high school rule, wouldn't all T's be assessed with the same penalty?
Thanks.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 06:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

There's really no way to properly answer your question since your league seems to have modified the NF rules on this (and maybe other) situations.

For instance, I work a rec league at one venue that has a house rule at all levels, 4th grade through adult, that every technical foul is two shots, two points and the ball, except for administrative technicals. The stupid thing is that there is no extra penalty for intentional or flagrant personal fouls, so the second delay warning for a boundary violation carries the extreme penalty but a foul for running up behind a player on a breakaway and pushing him in the back does not.

I don't think you can assume that the penalty in your league for one type of technical is the same for all types. You would have to read the rules. If your rules state something like "High school rules apply except in the following circumstances"... then technicals are two shots and the ball unless specified as something different.

In the case of a player playing when disqualified, under NF rules, it is penalized when discovered, it is a flagrant technical on the player (ejection) and also an indirect on the coach.

Even though the player has been disqualified, it may be important to note the ejection aspect of this, as some conferences, states, leagues, etc. have additional penalties (such as suspension) for players who have been ejected.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Some associations play around with the rules in ways that you've indicated.

The T is always penalized as you've indicated. 2 shots plus the ball at the division line. However, it seems that your association is one of those who've started to change the rules for themselves. In my league (Gr7-8), they've started talking about eliminating the 3 point line and only counting 2 points for each Field Goal. Why the heck do we need a rule book, if we can simply change them here and there.

Personally, I don't care for this. Basketball rules were written a long time ago and they've changed and that's fine. But it's not our job at the local level to change or rewrite the rule book. Our job as coaches and as officials is to teach and enforce the rules. Tell your league/association that the rules of basketball already exist and that we should just follow what's in the book.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Have a great weekend.

Ren
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Reply to Mark Padgett on T's

Well, the way I read it then, we at the very least should have been awarded two additional free throws, because I just read a new rule that indirect T's on a coach are assessed the same penalty as a regular T.

Unless a flagrant foul is 2 points and the ball in high school.

In case you are interested, the reason I am pursuing this is that it was a very close game. Our player was fouled by the player that already had 5 fouls. That is when it was discovered. So we were awarded two shots for the foul, and two for the T. She make the T shots,which tied the game. She missed the two foul. It was late in the game, and it went into overtime, where we lost by one point. Heartbreak. But I was very positive to the team and told them they did a great job.

I also thanked the ref, who did a great job. He was going to play it how we agreed.

Thanks very much for your help. I love the game, and helping the players get better each outing. I also respect the refs, and thank them after every game, regardless of the outcome.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

In this situation, 2 shots are taken for the T to the player only. You don't get an additionnal 2 shots for the indirect T to the coach.

However if coach gets 2 direct T's or 3 indirect ones, he'll be ejected. That's where the indirect T's come into play.

So in other words, if you got 2 shots for the original foul, plus 2 shots for the T, plus the ball, then everything went according to plan. The only thing you can do now is have your players practice free throws at your next practice.

Good luck.

Ren
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Reply to Mark Padgett on T's

Quote:
Originally posted by kpaul

Our player was fouled by the player that already had 5 fouls. That is when it was discovered.
[/B]
The coach or player had not been told about the player, playing with 5 fouls. I don't think you can give a T until the coach has been told and then he plays.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 10:48pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Reply to Mark Padgett on T's

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:

Our player was fouled by the player that already had 5 fouls. That is when it was discovered.
The coach or player had not been told about the player, playing with 5 fouls. I don't think you can give a T until the coach has been told and then he plays. [/B]
Don't be modest,Bart.You KNOW that it's not a T if the coach hasn't been notified.The reference is casebook 2-11-5.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Reply to Mark Padgett on T's

Quote:
In case you are interested, the reason I am pursuing this is that it was a very close game. Our player was fouled by the player that already had 5 fouls. That is when it was discovered. So we were awarded two shots for the foul, and two for the T. She make the T shots,which tied the game. She missed the two foul. It was late in the game, and it went into overtime, where we lost by one point. Heartbreak. But I was very positive to the team and told them they did a great job.
unless you have some league rule that's different:

1- A technical foul should not have been assessed.

2- There is no penalty for not removing a player who has 5 fouls if the official does not notify the coach of the DQ.

3- Don't harp on this issue. You got two more shots than you should have been entitled to. Besides, there are no protest iunder NFHS rules.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

In response to item 3 from BktBallRef, I am not harping on this issue. Nor was I trying to get extra FT's that my team does not deserve. I was only trying to get clarification of the rules for future reference. There were plenty of things we could have done better during the course of the game that would have changed the outcome.

Thanks.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Actually, the coach had been notified, and the player previously had been removed from the game because of having 5 fouls. The coach then put her back in the game, that's when the "6th" foul was committed. So does that change the the answers?

Thanks.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 07:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Actually, the coach had been notified, and the player previously had been removed from the game because of having 5 fouls. The coach then put her back in the game, that's when the "6th" foul was committed. So does that change the the answers?

Thanks.
Completely different if the coach was notified.The player receives a flagrant T and the coach gets an indirect T.Penalty is 2 shots for the flagrant T,plus the ball OB at center.No foul shots for the indirect T on the coach,unless your league has a rule stating otherwise.The sad part is that a coach at this level would pull that kind of crap!That fact that he is the league commissioner makes it even worse.I think it's time that you got yourselves a new commissioner.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Smile

This is a perfect situation to show why a commish should not coach in a rec league. He has a conflict of interest when these issues are discussed.

Yes, you should receive 2 FT for the foul if you are double bonus or in act of shooting & 2 FT for the technical.