The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

How many

Saw Steve Welmer working his 111th game tonight, wow.

It got me to thinking what is the right number of games for an official to work. I worked about 60 games this year and in retrospect it was too many. I probably should cut back next year but that is easier said than done.

My question is how many games or dates do people on this board work and how do they determine the "right" number for them.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 11:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

My wife makes that determination.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLundagard
Saw Steve Welmer working his 111th game tonight, wow.

It got me to thinking what is the right number of games for an official to work. I worked about 60 games this year and in retrospect it was too many. I probably should cut back next year but that is easier said than done.

My question is how many games or dates do people on this board work and how do they determine the "right" number for them.
I'll do about 120 games this year probably, between HS season, rec leagues, church leagues, AAU, camps, and other opportunites. And about the time I hit game number 100, I start to feel the need to hike my pants up at every opportunity. That's how I can tell I'm working the right number of games

Seriously, there have been years that I have worked fewer, and it's been too many. This year it feels right. I can tell when it's starting to be too much by my attitude. If I cringe when I remember that I have a game, it's too many. If I start watching the clock, wishing it would run faster, that's a warning sign. If I start to frequently lose focus during games, that's another warning sign.

Oh, and if I come home at the end of the night and my wife, my kids, and the furniture is gone...that's her way of telling me it's too many
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 11:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Oh, and if I come home at the end of the night and my wife, my kids, and the furniture is gone...that's her way of telling me it's too many
And how many times has that happened?
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
And how many times has that happened?
How many times total? Or how many times did I notice right away?
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 11:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 11:50pm
We don't rent pigs

I don't know exactly how many games, but I worked 52 or 53 nights this season, at least 2 games a night, a few 3 game nights and a few 4's.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

I had 38 HS games....(half of them in "3-Person").....5 college games....6 post-season tournament assignments. That was about what I do year-to-year. (Been doing this for 34 years.)

Also do some "local" community AAU, club & traveling tourneys (10) when dates permit. Got to be careful that you don't set yourself up for injury....especially the "older" you get!

peace!
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLundagard
It got me to thinking what is the right number of games for an official to work.
There's no "right number." If you're still having fun and still giving a good physical and mental effort, then it's not "too many." If you're still staying sharp, then it's not "too few."

I worked about 100 HS varsity and college games this season.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I'll do about 120 games this year probably, between HS season, rec leagues, church leagues, AAU, camps, and other opportunites. And about the time I hit game number 100, I start to feel the need to hike my pants up at every opportunity. That's how I can tell I'm working the right number of games

Seriously, there have been years that I have worked fewer, and it's been too many. This year it feels right. I can tell when it's starting to be too much by my attitude. If I cringe when I remember that I have a game, it's too many. If I start watching the clock, wishing it would run faster, that's a warning sign. If I start to frequently lose focus during games, that's another warning sign.

Just added up Feb. and I did 70 games ranging from varsity boys, girls, state tourney, men's leagues, feeder, AAU, special olympics, grammar school and park district. I'll probably do around 250 for a year. Sad to see the season wind down. In years past, I'd sometimes be clock watching....not this year.

Last edited by fullor30; Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 07:15pm.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
I just figured my schedule, I worked 60 Varsity Games, 9 College, 3 Post Season...not including the Jr, high and JV I worked.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 03:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

208 for me, which is kind of low, actually, compared to past seasons. I have averaged about 240 - 260 for the past 10 seasons or so. Of course, my first year with Dr. Naismith, I worked only 10 games because that's all that took place. BTW - Jimbo (that's what I called him) needed a lot of help with his mechanics.

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 03:26pm.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 03:27pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
208 for me, which is kind of low, actually, compared to past seasons. I have averaged about 240 - 260 for the past 10 seasons or so. Of course, my first year with Dr. Naismith, I worked only 10 games because that's all that took place. BTW - Jimbo (that's what I called him) needed a lot of help with his mechanics.
When did JR come into the mix?
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 03:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
When did JR come into the mix?
He learned by sitting in the balcony at the Springfield Y and making kineoscopes of us working the games. I remember a few years later he got really upset when McKinley got shot.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

I average about 250 games a year. 5th grade through varsity.

I probably do another 100 or so nastalgia, boys& girls club and the Bruce Webber summer camp.

So 350 total.