The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Double Dribble or Fumble? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42667-double-dribble-fumble.html)

KCRef Thu Mar 13, 2008 08:21am

Double Dribble or Fumble?

Defensive player A1 obtains possesion of the rebound, and is looking to pass the ball to a teammate. Teammate A2 bumps into A1 causing him to drop the ball. A1 reobtains possesion of the ball with both hands and then starts a dribble. Is this double dribble?

Would it be different if no one had bumped into A!, and he just lost control by himself?

SamIAm Thu Mar 13, 2008 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRef
Defensive player A1 obtains possesion of the rebound, and is looking to pass the ball to a teammate. Teammate A2 bumps into A1 causing him to drop the ball. A1 reobtains possesion of the ball with both hands and then starts a dribble. Is this double dribble?

Would it be different if no one had bumped into A!, and he just lost control by himself?

Sounds like a basic fumble to me for either sitch. A1 can regain possession and use his/her dribble if not already used.

Scooby Thu Mar 13, 2008 08:37am

Agree, fumble.

Loudwhistle Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm
Sounds like a basic fumble to me for either sitch. A1 can regain possession and use his/her dribble if not already used.

Basic idea is fumble, dribble, fumble okay. Dribble, fumble, Dribble, violation. I say this "fumble, dribble, fumble okay" when I do my pregame in the locker room. Helps me when it suddenly happens. Good Luck!

BillyMac Thu Mar 13, 2008 06:54pm

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

During a fumble the player is not in control of the ball, and therefore, cannot be called for a traveling violation. A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball is unintentionally dropped or slips from a player’s grasp. After a player has ended a dribble and fumbled the ball, that player may recover the ball without violating. Any steps taken during the recovery of a fumble are not traveling, regardless of how far the ball goes and the amount of advantage that is gained. It is always legal to recover a fumble, even at the end of a dribble, however that player cannot begin a new dribble, which would be a illegal dribble violation. A player who fumbles the ball when receiving a pass may legally start a dribble.

MOFFICIAL Fri Mar 14, 2008 07:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
During a fumble the player is not in control of the ball, and therefore, cannot be called for a traveling violation. A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball is unintentionally dropped or slips from a player’s grasp. After a player has ended a dribble and fumbled the ball, that player may recover the ball without violating. Any steps taken during the recovery of a fumble are not traveling, regardless of how far the ball goes and the amount of advantage that is gained. It is always legal to recover a fumble, even at the end of a dribble, however that player cannot begin a new dribble, which would be a illegal dribble violation. A player who fumbles the ball when receiving a pass may legally start a dribble.

OK just to spice this up a bit suppose A1 dribbles ball fumbles it and during fumble B1 legally touches the ball but A1 recovers. Is it legal for A1 to dribble again?:eek:

Indianaref Fri Mar 14, 2008 07:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOFFICIAL
OK just to spice this up a bit suppose A1 dribbles ball fumbles it and during fumble B1 legally touches the ball but A1 recovers. Is it legal for A1 to dribble again?:eek:

Yes.