The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Question

Had this happen several times last night in a game. First part of a 2 shot free throw. Players on the lines from defensive team would squat down before the ball was placed at the disposal of the shooter. Only the feet were on the floor, no hands, no knee, no backside, only the feet. I told them that that is OK as long as they did not stand after I bounced the ball to the shooter, until it hit rim or backboard. For the second shot they went to the normal stance.

Now I am wondering, is the very act of not standing enough of a distraction to be a disconcertion?
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I would only call it disconcertion if they stood up when the shooter was about to release the free throw. Same thing with players lifting their hands quickly just as the shooter is about to release. I had that happen in a game earlier in the season. I had 4 delayed violation calls on the same player before the shooter missed and got to call it for real. After the second one I warned him coming back up the court not to do it but he must not have known what I was talking about. I was the trail and just as the shooter was about to release the player on my side in the lane space nearest the shooter would raise his hands quickly.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

I think daves has the best take on this. I would let them stand as long as it is before the shooting motion. I probably would allow it the 1st time and then warn them and if i happened again then have a violation if the ball didn't go in the basket.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RX Ref
If I was a player, I know what I would do if a player squatted in the space next to me, except the sound it would make might disconcert all on its own....
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Along this same line, I realize that it is a "gray" area but, what about when a FT shooter is given the ball and then all at once the opponents begin telling each other, "I got 44." "I got 23." Or, the defender at the top of the key suddenly has a coughing fit, or, just as the shooter prepares to release the ball, a defender yells to his teammates, "Block out!" Or, "I got the shooter!"
Would you call a violation on these situations?
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 01:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Ref63
Along this same line, I realize that it is a "gray" area but, what about when a FT shooter is given the ball and then all at once the opponents begin telling each other, "I got 44." "I got 23." ....defender yells to his teammates, "Block out!" Or, "I got the shooter!"
Would you call a violation on these situations?
Rev,
Happened to me last week.
I stepped in for the next throw, and asked the player, "You weren't disconcerting the shooter were you?"
He stopped.
mick