The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
Smile

Semi finals,bantam girls tournament. Partner is lead, I'm Trail. ball on the far side line, i'm still in the back court. Team B applying pressure. All of a sudden, I hear time out come from A's bench. I blow my whistle, about half a second after my partner. Turns out, he was a violation, whereas I thought he was calling for time. Team A does not like this. So my partner goes over, to try and explain this. He's not making any headway, i jog over,to see if i can be of assistance, after listening for about a minute, I came up with the solution. I said"Coach, which one of you is the head coach anyways?" He replies that the other guys is. I than say "Well, there ya go, you can't call timeouts anyways". His coaching collegue than says, with a smile on his face,"well,there ya go!"

That won't be happening in the provincials I've got coming up in a few weeks I don't imagine

Tyler
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 02:19am
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

I don't know how it is up there in the Great White North, but down here in the colonies, no coach can call timeout. They can only request timeout.

Sorry for the nit-pickyness, but this is my pet peeve.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 05:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by moose69
Semi finals,bantam girls tournament. Partner is lead, I'm Trail. ball on the far side line, i'm still in the back court. Team B applying pressure. All of a sudden, I hear time out come from A's bench. I blow my whistle, about half a second after my partner. Turns out, he was a violation, whereas I thought he was calling for time. Team A does not like this. So my partner goes over, to try and explain this. He's not making any headway, i jog over,to see if i can be of assistance, after listening for about a minute, I came up with the solution. I said"Coach, which one of you is the head coach anyways?" He replies that the other guys is. I than say "Well, there ya go, you can't call timeouts anyways". His coaching collegue than says, with a smile on his face,"well,there ya go!"

That won't be happening in the provincials I've got coming up in a few weeks I don't imagine

Tyler
Moose,you should always find out before the game who the head coach is.It could save you a lot of problems.When you hear the request from the bench,you then have to look to confirm that it is the head coach requesting it.If there is a question of which whistle happened first,remember the time of your whistle for the TO is irrevelant(I love pet peeves!).You go by when you recognize and grant the TO,not when you actually whistle for it.In this case,you may have recognized the TO before your partner blew his whistle.Even though you blew your whistle after his,the TO still takes precedence.
Good luck at the provincials.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 08:15am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
In this case,you may have recognized the TO before your partner blew his whistle.Even though you blew your whistle after his,the TO still takes precedence.
JR,
That's a close one.
Perhaps the partner recognized the violation before the request and before his whistle?
mick
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

moose69 I like how you got out of that pickle. I can't resist bringing this up. HS rules only allow the head coach to call(request) the TO. However, once you grant the TO, even if it was not permitted than they are allowed the TO. Now, the question is can we apply this same rule to another bench personnel? Lets say you had the only whistle and then you discovered it was not the head coach, would you still allow the TO?
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Bart, Moose had the second whistle. The ball was already dead on his partner's violation. I would ask the coach if he still wanted a timeout. If not, play ball. I don't think I would spend any time trying to explain it to the coach.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 10:10am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
In this case,you may have recognized the TO before your partner blew his whistle.Even though you blew your whistle after his,the TO still takes precedence.
JR,
That's a close one.
Perhaps the partner recognized the violation before the request and before his whistle?
mick
Mick,I was assuming that they got together to discuss what they were going to go with.I could have been assuming too much.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

According to the posting moose69, justified not granting the TO because it was not the head coach requesting the TO. In part i agree with you about the 2nd whistle, i.e. if the whistles were beep, beep very little time between beeps, then i think you have to get together and decide which came 1st. Just saying his was the 2nd whistle won't work.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Tyler
"Provincials" -- that means you are in Canada?

Doesn't Canada use NCAA Women's rules? (I can never keep this straight)

In NCAA Women's rules, any coach can request a TO.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Canada is messed up. Ontario uses FEd rules,maybe Nova Scotia does too. BC, uses NCAA rules- no shot clock( i think) and I believe the rest of the country uses some form of modified FIBA. I know the problem could have been avoided by identifying the head coach, but this was a tournament. Games were behind schedule, they skipped the warm up, so this was all lost in the frey of things.

Tyler
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 05:11am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Tyler
You going to Stratford or AAA or AAAA?
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 05:17am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Tyler
"Provincials" -- that means you are in Canada?

Doesn't Canada use NCAA Women's rules? (I can never keep this straight)

In NCAA Women's rules, any coach can request a TO.
Ontario HS and club ball uses Federation, Cdn University men's ball uses small modified NCAA. Cdn Women's University uses small modified FIBA, 3 person. Other provinces use modified FIBA or modified NCAA for HS and club ball.

It's very stupid, really.

Mike
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, not doing OFSAA. I think i've got one of the OBA tournamnets lined up thought.

Tyler
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]remember the time of your whistle for the TO is irrevelant(I love pet peeves!).You go by when you recognize and grant the TO,not when you actually whistle for it.In this case,you may have recognized the TO before your partner blew his whistle.Even though you blew your whistle after his,the TO still takes precedence.
[/B][/QUOTE]

JR,

What do you do with the clock in this case? Close game in the 4th...I hear TO from the bench...recognize it's the coach...by the time I hammer the whistle a couple secs go by. 1st and 3rd qtr...no biggie. The question is...if you have knowledge of a TO, do you adjust the clock if appropriate?

Larks - VIT
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 02:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
remember the time of your whistle for the TO is irrevelant(I love pet peeves!).You go by when you recognize and grant the TO,not when you actually whistle for it.In this case,you may have recognized the TO before your partner blew his whistle.Even though you blew your whistle after his,the TO still takes precedence.
[/B][/QUOTE]

JR,

What do you do with the clock in this case? Close game in the 4th...I hear TO from the bench...recognize it's the coach...by the time I hammer the whistle a couple secs go by. 1st and 3rd qtr...no biggie. The question is...if you have knowledge of a TO, do you adjust the clock if appropriate?

Larks - VIT [/B][/QUOTE]

larks,
I don't adjust the clock.
If the clock was that critical, they'd give a clock button to the coach, and if he pressed it at the wrong time the other team gets two and the ball.
mick