Thread: easy way out
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 05:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by moose69
Semi finals,bantam girls tournament. Partner is lead, I'm Trail. ball on the far side line, i'm still in the back court. Team B applying pressure. All of a sudden, I hear time out come from A's bench. I blow my whistle, about half a second after my partner. Turns out, he was a violation, whereas I thought he was calling for time. Team A does not like this. So my partner goes over, to try and explain this. He's not making any headway, i jog over,to see if i can be of assistance, after listening for about a minute, I came up with the solution. I said"Coach, which one of you is the head coach anyways?" He replies that the other guys is. I than say "Well, there ya go, you can't call timeouts anyways". His coaching collegue than says, with a smile on his face,"well,there ya go!"

That won't be happening in the provincials I've got coming up in a few weeks I don't imagine

Tyler
Moose,you should always find out before the game who the head coach is.It could save you a lot of problems.When you hear the request from the bench,you then have to look to confirm that it is the head coach requesting it.If there is a question of which whistle happened first,remember the time of your whistle for the TO is irrevelant(I love pet peeves!).You go by when you recognize and grant the TO,not when you actually whistle for it.In this case,you may have recognized the TO before your partner blew his whistle.Even though you blew your whistle after his,the TO still takes precedence.
Good luck at the provincials.