The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

In quite a few of my evaluations (JV High School games), I was told that I am too high up as trail on FT's. I tried some different positions. I found that when I go down lower that my view of the players is partially obscured or not as good for lane violations. In talking to them, their reasoning was that I needed to be farther down for rebounds and shots. My question is where do you position yourselfs and, do you use any particular spots or reference points? Thanks for your insights.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe the problem is not where you start but where you end up. Try stepping down when the ball is just about at the rim
that way you can monitor for violations and still be in position to see the rebounding action.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Start at the top of the key extended. From here you can see the shooter's feet and across the lane for a violation. When the shot is released, close down one step towards the basket.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RX Ref
even with th FT line

I line up even with the FT line so I can watch the shooters feet. I think this is the primary responsibility. Once the ball hits, I move according to which way the ball and players go, so that I have the best angle. Of course, it is different if I am the trail in 3 man, as opposed to 2 man.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 08:56am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rcwilco
In quite a few of my evaluations (JV High School games), I was told that I am too high up as trail on FT's. I tried some different positions. I found that when I go down lower that my view of the players is partially obscured or not as good for lane violations. In talking to them, their reasoning was that I needed to be farther down for rebounds and shots. My question is where do you position yourselfs and, do you use any particular spots or reference points? Thanks for your insights.

rc,
I am lined up a couple steps behind the free-throw line extended and about half-way between the shooter and the sideline. A good view of everything from there.
If i have to adjust a little I will.
Try it; you'll like it.
mick
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I step back until I'm in line with the table side post block and the top near-side block. I then make a small adjustment based on the level of play; younger - closer, older - further back.

I don't have my NFHS official's manual with me - maybe someone could enlighten me here? I know what AOR each official has based on Louisiana mechanics and it may be slightly askew from NFHS. In La, trail has shooter, near top block, and opposite top three blocks. Lead has table side post and opposite bottom three blocks.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 11:11am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert
I step back until I'm in line with the table side post block and the top near-side block. I then make a small adjustment based on the level of play; younger - closer, older - further back.

I don't have my NFHS official's manual with me - maybe someone could enlighten me here? I know what AOR each official has based on Louisiana mechanics and it may be slightly askew from NFHS. In La, trail has shooter, near top block, and opposite top three blocks. Lead has table side post and opposite bottom three blocks.
Tom,
Same ol', same ol' for Fed.
mick
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I line up how Mick describes it, with the exception of moving in a little closer for the lower level games. In the games where you may see violations a little more I come in closer to get a better view of things.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Thanks everyone, appreciate the input. I have some church games next week and will put these to use.