The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   FT position (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/4258-ft-position.html)

rcwilco Thu Feb 28, 2002 07:19pm

In quite a few of my evaluations (JV High School games), I was told that I am too high up as trail on FT's. I tried some different positions. I found that when I go down lower that my view of the players is partially obscured or not as good for lane violations. In talking to them, their reasoning was that I needed to be farther down for rebounds and shots. My question is where do you position yourselfs and, do you use any particular spots or reference points? Thanks for your insights.

PAULK1 Thu Feb 28, 2002 09:11pm

Maybe the problem is not where you start but where you end up. Try stepping down when the ball is just about at the rim
that way you can monitor for violations and still be in position to see the rebounding action.

BigDave Thu Feb 28, 2002 09:34pm

Start at the top of the key extended. From here you can see the shooter's feet and across the lane for a violation. When the shot is released, close down one step towards the basket.

RX Ref Fri Mar 01, 2002 08:28am

even with th FT line

I line up even with the FT line so I can watch the shooters feet. I think this is the primary responsibility. Once the ball hits, I move according to which way the ball and players go, so that I have the best angle. Of course, it is different if I am the trail in 3 man, as opposed to 2 man.

mick Fri Mar 01, 2002 08:56am

Quote:

Originally posted by rcwilco
In quite a few of my evaluations (JV High School games), I was told that I am too high up as trail on FT's. I tried some different positions. I found that when I go down lower that my view of the players is partially obscured or not as good for lane violations. In talking to them, their reasoning was that I needed to be farther down for rebounds and shots. My question is where do you position yourselfs and, do you use any particular spots or reference points? Thanks for your insights.

rc,
I am lined up a couple steps behind the free-throw line extended <u>and</u> about half-way between the shooter and the sideline. A good view of everything from there.
If i have to adjust a little I will.
Try it; you'll like it.
mick

tharbert Fri Mar 01, 2002 09:51am

I step back until I'm in line with the table side post block and the top near-side block. I then make a small adjustment based on the level of play; younger - closer, older - further back.

I don't have my NFHS official's manual with me - maybe someone could enlighten me here? I know what AOR each official has based on Louisiana mechanics and it may be slightly askew from NFHS. In La, trail has shooter, near top block, and opposite top three blocks. Lead has table side post and opposite bottom three blocks.

mick Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:11am

Quote:

Originally posted by tharbert
I step back until I'm in line with the table side post block and the top near-side block. I then make a small adjustment based on the level of play; younger - closer, older - further back.

I don't have my NFHS official's manual with me - maybe someone could enlighten me here? I know what AOR each official has based on Louisiana mechanics and it may be slightly askew from NFHS. In La,<u> trail has shooter, near top block, and opposite top three blocks. Lead has table side post and opposite bottom three blocks.</u>

Tom,
Same ol', same ol' for Fed.
mick

daves Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:21am

I line up how Mick describes it, with the exception of moving in a little closer for the lower level games. In the games where you may see violations a little more I come in closer to get a better view of things.

rcwilco Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:37am

Thanks everyone, appreciate the input. I have some church games next week and will put these to use.