The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RX Ref
Last night, girls tournament, A1 at the line for the 2nd of 2 FT. A2 and B1 begin sticking there arms in the lane and end up smacking each other fairly hard. I blew the whistle and called a double foul and went to the ap arrow. At the half, my partner said he would have blown the whistle and given them a warning. I also thought i could have called a a double T since it was a dead ball- I'd like to get some opinions....
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Did it work? Did the girls stop the hand play at the line? I'd bet not.

I probably would have warned them first.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RX Ref
Yes it did....

no more funny business. I also explained to them why I called it, which may have helped
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Warning before the smacks. If you think the smacks were intentional and you want to call it than it is a T.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2002, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

If I see this kind of garbage going on, I tell them pretty loudly to knock the garbage off. They just don't start doing it out of the blue. Thye might start a little. Tell em to knock it off, if they dont get the message give them the foul.
The only way it could be a T is if the ball was not at the shooter's disposal. If the shooter had the ball, it is a live ball foul. If the girls are doing this kind of action while the ball is dead I would suggest you are not officiating the game too well.

Prevent the fouls before they happen. I have stopped plenty on inbounds throw ins. Two players jostling or bumping and I have the ball ready to hand to the thrower. I'll keep the ball step aout and say something like "knock it off, The player doesnt even have the ball and youre doing this?" They know I'm watching and generally stop. If you call fouls there they are T's and the coaches would love that!