The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

In a V and Jv game, the coach of team A and players on the bench were screaming to stop the game clock after a made field goal by a player on team B with seconds left in the 2nd. quarter. The game clock continued to run as team A rushed to take the ball out of bounds for a last second shot. I later walked over to the coach and explained to him, the game clock does not stop after a made field goal. Was I correct? Also, am I correct in telling the timer not to start the game clock on a missed free throw until I, (the ref), indicate that the ball is touched by a player, by bringing down my arm to start the clock?
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 05:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Of course you are correct in stating that the game clock does not stop in high school after made baskets, unless you stop it for some reason (timeout, foul, ball rolling away, etc.)

As to starting the clock after free throws, one would hope that high school timers know the proper procedure. If you have any doubt, cover this in your conversation with them prior to the game. Where most timers get confused is when the last free throw in the sequence is made, and they take the trail's dropping of his arm to mean start the clock. Be sure they know to look at the lead (actually new trail) in those instances.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Could be another case of watching too much NBA. NCAA also has this provision, although only during the final 1:00 of game.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Feeli99, I don't think i've ever had this problem on missed free throws. You are correct. In other situations for starting clock, i tell the timer to start clock when I chop unless for some reason we forget to chop then help us out and start time. I have more trouble with shot clock operators.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2000, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Blacktiger, the state of Kansas has done away with the 30point rule as of Feb.1,2000. schools didn't like it.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2000, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

I finally realized the value of a good pregame with timers and scorers earlier this week. I was working a high school varsity conference tournament that was being held at a junior college. The college supplied the table personel. I work college games here so I know that they are a very good table for college games. I totally forgot about getting with them as far as timeouts(length), running the clock when a team is up by 30 points or more in the 4th quarter. The table there was so good that they came to me to ask about timing changes.