The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hey, it's the scorekeepers fault!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42449-hey-its-scorekeepers-fault.html)

Raymond Tue Mar 04, 2008 03:03pm

Hey, it's the scorekeepers fault!!!

Big Ten Women's game:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=3268120

sseltser Tue Mar 04, 2008 03:06pm

Quote:

The scoring error was correctable until the end of regulation.
I don't do NCAA but I think this is incorrect FED? Of course overtime would still be played if it is started.

Anybody know if this is correct in NCAA?

jdw3018 Tue Mar 04, 2008 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sseltser
I don't do NCAA but I think this is incorrect FED? Of course overtime would still be played if it is started.

Scoring errors are correctable until the end of the game. If they disqualified the free throw correctly, but then the scorer still recorded the point, then it is not something that falls under the correctable errors provision, but rather a scorekeeping error, which is correctable whenever discovered.

bob jenkins Tue Mar 04, 2008 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sseltser

Yes it's "incorrect" as written -- but it's written on a "fan" site, not an "officials" site.

What they meant was "if corrected prior to the end of regulation, then OT would not have been played. Once OT started, it should be played, even with the point removed."

BillyMac Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:25pm

End Of Game ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
Scoring errors are correctable until the end of the game.

Let me be clearer:

NFHS: Game ends when fourth period horn sounds, assuming no overtime, or no foul shots to be taken. Jurisdiction for the officials, to correct correctable errors, to correct book keeping mistakes, or to give technical fouls, ends when all the officials leave the visual confines of the playing court.

NCAA" Jurisdiction ends ... ???

Mark Dexter Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
Are you sure?

He's right.

NCAA 2-9: The scorers shall:
Art. 17. Correct a scoring or bookkeeping mistake any time before the referee approves the final score.

TonyT Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:34am

Question on scorebooks

In college BB are their 2 scorebooks? Or is the home team score keeper the only book? I don't know if the visiting team has someone who travels with them and keeps the book. I haven't noticed this.

Mark Dexter Wed Mar 05, 2008 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyT
In college BB are their 2 scorebooks? Or is the home team score keeper the only book? I don't know if the visiting team has someone who travels with them and keeps the book. I haven't noticed this.

Technically, you're supposed to have two books (sometimes you'll have 3 during a tourney), but some visiting teams will keep their book on the bench. It's their loss should a situation like this arise.

TonyT Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:46am

This game was on the Big 10 network

I am surprised the error wasn't caught sooner as they are usually right up to date on the score.

SCalScoreKeeper Wed Mar 05, 2008 09:33pm

Two Questions-
A.Can anyone find out which three-person crew had this game?
B.Can anyone get this tape and post the free throw in question?

jdw3018 Wed Mar 05, 2008 09:37pm

Don't know why it matters, but David Stewart, Dennis Demayo, Beverly Roberts called the game according to the box score.

SCalScoreKeeper Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:03pm

I know it does not matter but curiosity got the better of me in asking!

How does this happen?
Whoever was tableside should've said "NO BASKET" to the table and they should've been looking at the shooter anyway to see if the ball went in.