The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Grant time-out or not (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42401-grant-time-out-not.html)

altus Mon Mar 03, 2008 09:25am

Grant time-out or not

A1 is fouled as time expires in the fourth quarter, score 60-61, B leading. Before A1 goes to the line, Coach B ask for a time-out, do you grant him that time-out?

tjones1 Mon Mar 03, 2008 09:29am

Yep.

Scrapper1 Mon Mar 03, 2008 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by altus
A1 is fouled as time expires in the fourth quarter, score 60-61, B leading. Before A1 goes to the line, Coach B ask for a time-out, do you grant him that time-out?

Unless there was already a timeout granted after the expiration of playing time, yes.

Raymond Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:00am

I hope altus doesn't stand for Altus, OK.......ewwwwww

altus Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:01am

Yes

Yes, it is Altus Oklahoma. Can anyone give me a reference point for the situation about the time-out?

Raymond Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:17am

Quote:

Yes, it is Altus Oklahoma. Can anyone give me a reference point for the situation about the time-out?

Don't have a NFHS rule book available at the moment, but T/O's are allowed in this situation. The game is not over. Do you have a rule book available to you?

My question to you is why would you think a T/O is not allowed in the situation?

Nevadaref Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:18am

Quote:

5-8
Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official:...

3. . . . Grants a player's/head coach's oral or visual request for a time-out, such request being granted only when:

a. The ball is in control or at the disposal of a player of his/her team.
b. The ball is dead, unless replacement of a disqualified, or injured player(s), or a player directed to leave the game is pending, and a substitute(s) is available and required.

5-12-3 . . . Successive time-outs shall not be granted after expiration of playing time for the fourth quarter or any extra period.

altus Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:34am

I watched a game in which this happened, but the officials did not give the coach a time-out, which I felt was a wrong call. This happened in an area finals game.

JRutledge Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:39am

Quote:

I watched a game in which this happened, but the officials did not give the coach a time-out, which I felt was a wrong call. This happened in an area finals game.

Maybe the ball was at the disposal of the FT shooter. There are other reasons the request might not have been granted. Maybe the officials did not hear the coach. This is why I never understand why coaches throw out common sense with this rule. Have a player request a timeout. They can be on the court and in the official's field of vision.

Peace

Mark Padgett Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Have a player request a timeout. They can be on the court and in the official's field of vision.

Rut's point is well taken. Last week, I had a coach yelling for a TO in a really noisy gym and he was not in the field of vision of either of us. Finally, I saw him out of the corner of my eye and called the TO. After the game, he said he had been yelling for five seconds. I told him the problem was that we are trained to ignore any yelling coming from the benches. It took a minute, but then he smiled and said, "OK, I get it".

inigo montoya Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:15pm

I wish coaches would teach their players to request timeout when they hear the coach yelling "time out." Because any complaints about why their players can't probably apply to why the refs have trouble hearing and granting the request - i.e., noisy, don't want them to turn around, etc.

tjones1 Mon Mar 03, 2008 02:05pm

Case Reference

5.12.3 Situation A

Oz Referee Mon Mar 03, 2008 06:25pm

Yet again another (yes Mark, <b>another</b>:D) area where FIBA rules are better - time out requests come through the bench. Players & coaches don't get to make them directly to the ref.

Adam Mon Mar 03, 2008 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oz Referee
Yet again another (yes Mark, <b>another</b>:D) area where FIBA rules are better - time out requests come through the bench. Players & coaches don't get to make them directly to the ref.

I disagree. I like that players can stop play with a TO; just not coaches.

JugglingReferee Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:09am

Having officiated games using Fed, NCAA, and FIBA rules, I vote for FIBA - all the way.