The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

i was in a game last night, and it came down to a last second shot.
it got me to think about a situation though.score:A-60 B-61
7 seconds on the clock. A2 passes the ball inbounds to A1. A1 dribbles downcourt and puts up a shot, but as hes doing that the crowd uproars and its hard to hear the buzzer. but the basket is made. as the trail, i count the basket. would i be able to confer with my partner as the lead in a two man crew to justify whether or not the shot was off, if they had a better knowledge of whether it was a good basket or not? if so, is it a correctable error to cancel the score? and obviously if it was there is no second live ball time frame to correct it, so it would be when the officials jurisdiction ends is when the period of which the error would be able to be corrected, that is if i am right...
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 02:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Without commenting on your procedure there, I must harp a little and remind you to cover this in your pregame. Always, you should know if lead or trail will be watching clock and/or shooter in this situation - and listening for horn.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

If you signalled the shot was good, stay with your call.

If you held your signal, consult.

If you both signalled (but differently), consult.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

To piggy back off Mark, in the waning seconds of the game, R1 and U1 should have communicated who had last shot responsibility. The reason trail usually has it is because the goal and the clock are in his/her field of vision. If you go to a one clock gym, the pregame ought to cover how the official facing the clock has last shot responsibilty. Noise aside, you should have the clock in sight and verify remaining time at the shot especially in a loud game.

I try to keep a mental countdown to help me get the timing of the play. That way I have a small clue when the clock expires.

Also, you indicated you counted the basket. If you are not sure, don't count it and confer. Don't be surprised if U1 doesn't have a clue. He shouldn't be watching release on shot.