The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Double Multiple foul...? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42307-double-multiple-foul.html)

Terrapins Fan Thu Feb 28, 2008 03:52pm

Double Multiple foul...?

I was doing a game the other night and had a strange one happen.

As A1 is driving to the basket, my partner blows for a foul, I didn't hear his whistle when I blew my whistle on a foul, I had an intentional foul, he had a shooting foul. It happened so fast, that's why I missed his whistle.

A1 driving to the basket, partner calls foul on B1 at the same time I have a push from behind on B2. We come together to sort out the call, he says, "I got a foul on white 22", I say "22? I got a push from behind while A1 is in the air shooting on white 34."

I know it could have been a "T", but I came up with the intentional signal.

Thoughts?

Adam Thu Feb 28, 2008 03:58pm

Did they foul the same player? Which happened first? It's not a double, but it could either be a multiple or a false-multiple.
If they happened at the same time, go with them both.
If one happened first, go with that and ignore the other. If the 2nd can't be ignored, then it's a T.

RockinRef Thu Feb 28, 2008 04:18pm

If you clearly came out with the "Intentional" signal then you would have to go with the shooting foul then a "T" on the push.
Rule 10-3-8 states it is a "T" if the contact is "intentional or flagrant" when the ball is dead.
The ball became dead on the shooting foul.
Shoot 2 for the first foul then shoot 2 for the "T" and ball at the division line.
Coach is not going to like it but, it is what happened and you just call it as you see it.

Adam Thu Feb 28, 2008 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinRef
If you clearly came out with the "Intentional" signal then you would have to go with the shooting foul then a "T" on the push.
Rule 10-3-8 states it is a "T" if the contact is "intentional or flagrant" when the ball is dead.
Shoot 2 for the first foul then shoot 2 for the "T" and ball at the division line.
Coach is not going to like it but, it is what happened and you just call it as you see it.

Ah. I missed something. This wouldn't be a dead ball foul. The ball doesn't become dead on a shot until the try is over, even if there is a foul before that. The push from behind can be an intentional personal foul, or nothing. Hard to ignore it, though, if you've already given the X.

just another ref Thu Feb 28, 2008 04:28pm

Quote:

oh?

Terrapins Fan Thu Feb 28, 2008 09:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Did they foul the same player? Which happened first? It's not a double, but it could either be a multiple or a false-multiple.
If they happened at the same time, go with them both.
If one happened first, go with that and ignore the other. If the 2nd can't be ignored, then it's a T.

Yes, they fouled the same player. I did not see my partners foul, but clearly B2's foul was intentional. If I were going to guess, I would say my partner called his foul about 1/2 a sec. or so before mine.

Terrapins Fan Thu Feb 28, 2008 09:30pm

Quote:

This is very close to what we did. We put the ball in play at the base line for the intentional. I didn't think about it being an intentional "T". Good point.

Yeah, it was a close ball game, 2 or 3 points. A1 made all 4 FTs and they scored on the in bounds. Game pretty much over. It was about 2 or 3 minutes left in the 4th Q. It was a play off game.

JugglingReferee Thu Feb 28, 2008 09:38pm

When intentional fouls are concerned, I got no problem with going with a multiple foul. Call 'em both.

Adam Thu Feb 28, 2008 09:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
This is very close to what we did. We put the ball in play at the base line for the intentional. I didn't think about it being an intentional "T". Good point.

Yeah, it was a close ball game, 2 or 3 points. A1 made all 4 FTs and they scored on the in bounds. Game pretty much over. It was about 2 or 3 minutes left in the 4th Q. It was a play off game.

I'm gonna have to check my rule book, but I'm not sure he should have received 4 shots on a multiple foul.

What you have here is a regular multiple foul, complicated by the fact that one was inentional.

BTW, you were right by rule not to rule it a intentional technical foul. The ball wasn't dead yet regardless of the first foul due to the shot, therefore intentional personal was the correct call.

tjones1 Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:42am

Three free throws should have been awarded.

10 Penalty 6

Multiple Foul

a. One free throw for each foul:
(1) No try involved
(2)Successful or unsuccessful two-point try or tap
(3)Successful three-point try or tap

b. Two free throws for each foul:
(1) Intentional or flagrant foul
(2) Unsuccessful three-point try or tap
Plus ball for throw-in if intentional or flagrant

Kelvin green Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:57am

I have never seen a multiple foul called....

I will tell you this the only way I have a multiple foul in any game is we have two defenders that both just level the offfensive player at the same time...

Even in the play in the OP... one whistle was 1/2 second behind, but who truly fouled first... Just based on the facts of the OP if I were on the floor it would be one or the other but not both...