The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

If you want to know how you did, just ask the coach that just won.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 01:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I hear you loud and clear concerning consistency, but there is something you and all other coaches should realize. Stop worrying about the foul count 3 minutes into the game! If a coach feels like the fouls were lopsided at least wait until nature can take its course. There have been so many times when play has dictated a cluster of fouls for one team and a cluster for the other team later on. The end result is fouls that aren't even but reflect the defensive play of both teams. This should be our goal anyway: a foul count in line with how the teams played defense. Getting uptight about the foul count in the first 4 minutes is dumb.
I would take that a step further. Many officials do not care what coaches think about foul counts at any time of the game. I mainly concern myself with foul counts to know if we are close to a bonus situation. Outside of that if a coach complains, it is not going to change anything. Actually, most complaining coaches engage in means little or nothing but takes away their credibility.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz
As a coach, I'm looking for two things from the officials....a strong knowledge of the rules (unfortunately, brother and sister officials, this one is lacking far too often) and Consistency.

I understand, as an official, that there are many shades of gray in officiating basketball, and all I try for as an official is to be consistent from the tip to the final horn and that's all I ask for from the officials who call the games I coach in.
IMO When the players play consistently, the officials have a much better chance at calling the game consistently. The inverse of this is also true.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
...Too many coaches, if their team is not alive, equate this to bad officiating. Coaches, and others, see officials as nothing more than the bearers of bad news. There are exceptions, but with many coaches this overriding "the ref is a bad guy" mentality is further clouded by marginal rule knowledge and an obvious lack of objectivity on individual calls...
Just to add to this point, let me relay something I was told by a D1 official several years ago:

D1 coaches, for the most part, are control freaks. They have control of a multi-million dollar budget, control of a large arena and practice facility, and control of the lives of those 12 or so kids playing for them. About the only thing they don't have control of is those three guys running around their court in striped shirts. This drives them crazy and they are willing to go to almost any length to try to gain control to their advantage.

When you look at it from that angle, it's no wonder that D1 coaches think the officiating is uniformally bad across the board.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

BITS,

I know that this doesn't apply to all coaches but I'll say it anyway. Coaches aren't the best judges of officials during their own specific game. They just can't be objective and they can't separate their own bias toward/against their team. A foul against their team becomes "we teach them to block out". A travel aganst their team becomes "we teach that move". A missed layup becomes "if things weren't so physical, she would have made that". It's almost like a call goes against their ability to coach.

If they are watching a game not involving their team, they have a little more insight than a fan. Other than that, there is nothing in their background that makes them qualified to even rate an official.

With that being said, we have a very successful experience with coaches becoming officials after they tire of coaching. They do understand the game.

Mulk
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I would take that a step further. Many officials do not care what coaches think about foul counts at any time of the game. I mainly concern myself with foul counts to know if we are close to a bonus situation. Outside of that if a coach complains, it is not going to change anything. Actually, most complaining coaches engage in means little or nothing but takes away their credibility.
Complaining about the foul count is about as sure a way as any to get me to tune a coach out. It's a "crying wolf" scenario. Same as the coach who never really says anything across the line, but always wants a travel, or 3 seconds, or "watch the handchecking" every other trip down the court. It eliminates that coach's ability to get my attention to question something legitimately.

I had a freshman level game a couple weeks ago where I was trail for free throws and the coach wanted to complain because his team had 3 fouls and the other team had none 2:30 into the game. I just leaned over and said, "Coach, I'll be happy to talk to you about legitimate questions or rules applications when I can, but if you want to talk about the foul count I'm pretty good at tuning that out and it's hard to get my attention back."

It worked in that game. I normally wouldn't have said anything, but it got that coach focused on the game, and he had just 2 or 3 "complaints" the rest of the night, all of which came with pretty good questions we could answer.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

This is an interesting topic. It is good to hear things from a coach's perspective. I fall into the category of officials that doesn't really put much stock into comments from coaches. If they say, "nice job" I say "thank you." I'm more concerned with the other officials I work with and the assignors I work for thinking I do a quality job.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I hear you loud and clear concerning consistency, but there is something you and all other coaches should realize. Stop worrying about the foul count 3 minutes into the game! If a coach feels like the fouls were lopsided at least wait until nature can take its course. There have been so many times when play has dictated a cluster of fouls for one team and a cluster for the other team later on. The end result is fouls that aren't even but reflect the defensive play of both teams. This should be our goal anyway: a foul count in line with how the teams played defense. Getting uptight about the foul count in the first 4 minutes is dumb.

I'm not ever worried about foul count. Foul count is a direct representation of style of play...For example if one team is playing a man-to-man full court trapping game while the other team is playing a passive 2-3 zone, then the team pressing is probably going to commit far more fouls. My experience is that foul counts are almost always representative of the type of game. If the game is tight foul count is usually close, and if it isn't, it never is the fault of the game officials.

What I'm talking about with consistency is if you start the game calling hand-checking closely then you better continue to call the same type of hand-checks throughout the game. If you start the game by letting a lot of contact go then don't come up with a touch foul late.

The players will adjust to the way the game is being called, so therefore it is vital (and I'm saying this as a coach and an official) that the officials call apply the rules in a consistent manner.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 07:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Point ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I mainly concern myself with foul counts to know if we are close to a bonus situation.
Good point. New officials, please take note. This allows the officials to be extra careful about correctly identifying the shooter. It also helps avoid the dreadful: "Blue ball". Blue throws in. Horn sounds. Table makes a one and one sign. We look like idiots. Good way to prevent many correctable errors.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 07:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
So here's my question: What do coaches truly consider to be good officiating? Besides when every call goes their way, which is a given.
Besides that? Nothing. Nuff said.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 07:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
Also have been complimented for my hustle.
Which one are you?

Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 08:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good One ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Which one are you?
Mark Padgett: Good one. Maybe your best of the week. I'm sure glad that the writer's strike is finally over, and we can now get your best material fresh on the Forum, instead of those terrible reruns.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 08:08pm.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 08:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
...instead of those terrible reruns.
Hey, hey, hey - what was so terrible about Rerun?

Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 09:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Please Stop ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Hey, hey, hey - what was so terrible about Rerun?

Please stop it. You're killing me. I may end up like this guy: