The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Tenn/Vandy shirt holding

Twice in this game Tenn has been penalized for pulling on the shirt of a Vandy player. Both times only a common foul was called.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Was it grabbing the shirt to stop a fast break or something like that? Or was it just in post play or somewhere like that?
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Twice in this game Tenn has been penalized for pulling on the shirt of a Vandy player. Both times only a common foul was called.
So? Its not any more signifcant than holding part of their body unless it stops an obvious score. Don't read too much into the case about grabbing shirts...it was meant to address one very specific situation...not garden variety holds.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
So? Its not any more signifcant than holding part of their body unless it stops an obvious score. Don't read too much into the case about grabbing shirts...it was meant to address one very specific situation...not garden variety holds.
I don't share that opinion, but also won't tell you otherwise about yours.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Was it grabbing the shirt to stop a fast break or something like that? Or was it just in post play or somewhere like that?
The first was in a half court set as a player turned the corner for an end line drive. The defender pulled the back of his shirt.

The second was a player cutting for an inbounds pass, which he did receive. The defender again was pulling on the back of his shirt just prior to engaging in a trap with a teammate. This is the play on which Bruce Pearl asked the official, "What did he do?" It was hard to see the tugging. The Trail official caught it, but the C who was much closer to the play couldn't see it from his angle.

This was clearly a team tactic that Tenn was engaging in. I can only wonder if the NCAA will address the issue. Afterall it was called TWICE in a nationally televised game in which the #1 ranked team lost. I'd say that the game was seen by many and will be scrutinized.

I'm making no judgment whatsoever on the job done by the officials. In fact, I applaud them for getting the shirt holding fouls. They can certainly be tough to spot.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The first was in a half court set as a player turned the corner for an end line drive. The defender pulled the back of his shirt.

The second was a player cutting for an inbounds pass, which he did receive. The defender again was pulling on the back of his shirt just prior to engaging in a trap with a teammate. This is the play on which Bruce Pearl asked the official, "What did he do?" It was hard to see the tugging. The Trail official caught it, but the C who was much closer to the play couldn't see it from his angle.

This was clearly a team tactic that Tenn was engaging in. I can only wonder if the NCAA will address the issue. Afterall it was called TWICE in a nationally televised game in which the #1 ranked team lost. I'd say that the game was seen by many and will be scrutinized.

I'm making no judgment whatsoever on the job done by the officials. In fact, I applaud them for getting the shirt holding fouls. They can certainly be tough to spot.
Seems that the issue is addressed. They saw it as a hold and called the hold. It cost Tenn. 2 fouls. What more should be done?
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 10:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Seems that the issue is addressed. They saw it as a hold and called the hold. It cost Tenn. 2 fouls. What more should be done?
Death by a firing range?

Peace
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 11:03am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Death by a firing range?

Peace
Firing squad!

(you guys have corrupted me!)
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
He's implying they should have both been intentional fouls.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Death by a firing range?

Peace
Death by a bar-b-cue range?