The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Lane Violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42242-lane-violation.html)

hoosierref Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:57am

Lane Violation

Witnessed this the other day, (I was not working but was operating clock), Teams are lined up for free throw (bonus). As A-1 starts to shoot, B5 steps inside the 3-point line creating a violation, Also A-1 misses the cylinder on his attempt.

Discussion by the 3 working the game gave it alternating possesion.

But after the game we were all discussing it and came up with the violation by B would supersede the cylinder violation since it occured first. Is this correct? Looking for your input so I can learn from this situation.

hoosierref Tue Feb 26, 2008 01:09am

Sorry, guys & gals I just found the previous post about double violations. Sorry for re asking this when it had already been answered.

Jurassic Referee Tue Feb 26, 2008 06:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosierref
Witnessed this the other day, (I was not working but was operating clock), Teams are lined up for free throw (bonus). As A-1 starts to shoot, B5 steps inside the 3-point line creating a violation, <font color = red>Also A-1 misses the cylinder on his attempt.</font>

Discussion by the 3 working the game gave it alternating possesion.

But after the game we were all discussing it and came up with the violation by B would supersede the <font color = red>cylinder violation</font> since it occured first. Is this correct? Looking for your input so I can learn from this situation.

Whatintheheck is a <b>"cylinder violation"</b>? And why would the ball missing the cylinder be a violation anyway?:confused: Does that mean if the FT shooter clanks a line drive off the front of the ring, or the ball just brushed the front of the ring,you'd call a violation because it didn't touch the cylinder?

You may want to re-think your premise on this one.

crazy voyager Tue Feb 26, 2008 03:02pm

This is a violation by the shooter and therefore B gets the ball.
If two rebounders (one from each time) had violated we would have a jump ball.
43.3.1 If a violation is committed by a free-throw shooter:
• Point, if made, shall not count.
• Any other player’s violation, which occurs immediately before, at approximately the same time as, or after the violation committed by the free-throw shooter, shall be disregarded.

43.3.3 If a free throw is not successful and the violation is committed by:
• A team-mate of the free-throw shooter on the last or only free throw, the ball shall be awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at the free-throw line extended unless that team is entitled to further possession.
• An opponent of the free-throw shooter, a substitute free throw shall be awarded to the free-throw shooter.
• Both teams, on the last or only free throw, a jump ball situation occurs.