The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Massachusetts Handshake Update (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42238-massachusetts-handshake-update.html)

ma_ref Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
"Naked, next to your girlfriend."

That's a good one. Is it wrong now to wish some fan would provoke me so I can use that line?

Oh I feel like George Costanza waiting to hear the shrimp joke again...

rainmaker Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I just kissed off the rest of my tournament. I called the assignor and told him there was no way I was staying for any more handshakes. He said he couldn't use me. Fine by me. I wish the MIAA the worst of luck in their future lawsuit.

If every ref in every game gets abused, and reports it, maybe they'll see what you're talking about, but it's almost incomprehensible that they wouldn't "get it" after just this one. Quite simply, unbelievable.

Ron Pilo Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:46pm

Massachusetts Handshake Update

In Washington we get the heck off the floor while looking for the thumbs from the official scorer.......

sticking around is just foolish...

MajorCord Tue Feb 26, 2008 01:10pm

Question

Scrapper,

Does the MIAA require this of officials in other sports? Football, volleyball, baseball, etc. I realize the venue for those doesn't lead to confrontations like what can happen after a basketball game. I was just curious if this is something that they require for basketball only.

Scrapper1 Tue Feb 26, 2008 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorCord
Scrapper,

Does the MIAA require this of officials in other sports? Football, volleyball, baseball, etc.

I believe that beginning next year, it will be required for the officials to observe the handshake in all team sports.

mick Tue Feb 26, 2008 01:46pm

Quote:

I believe that beginning next year, it will be required for the officials to observe the handshake in all team sports.

Good idea, ...for a game at a singular church picnic.

BayStateRef Tue Feb 26, 2008 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorCord
Does the MIAA require this of officials in other sports? Football, volleyball, baseball, etc. I realize the venue for those doesn't lead to confrontations like what can happen after a basketball game. I was just curious if this is something that they require for basketball only.

It has been required in three sports: soccer, hockey and wrestling. The MIAA said it has worked so well in those sports to improve sportsmanship that it now will be required in all team sports.

It was supposed to be only "recommended" for this year's basketball season and a requiremetn next season. But the MIAA moved up the timeline and made it a requirement for this year's post-season tournament. Officials had to agree to stay for the handshake as a condition of receiving post-season assignments.

MajorCord Tue Feb 26, 2008 02:43pm

What about you guys that officiate other sports? How do you presently handle it? After baseball, do you guys high-tail it off the field? Or what about football? I didn't know what the modus operandi was in other sports. Here in NC, they have told us not to run off the court like we had something to hide. By the same token, they have not told us to observe any handshaking either.

Scrapper1 Tue Feb 26, 2008 02:45pm

There was also a second incident at a high school in the Berkshire region last night, also involving fans who left the stands to verbally abuse the officials.

mick Tue Feb 26, 2008 02:53pm

Quote:

There was also a second incident at a high school in the Berkshire region last night, also involving fans who left the stands to verbally abuse the officials.

gloat: to observe or think about something with triumphant and often malicious satisfaction, gratification, or delight <gloat over an enemy's misfortune>

fullor30 Tue Feb 26, 2008 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
"Naked, next to your girlfriend."

I just soiled myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scrapper1 Tue Feb 26, 2008 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
gloat: to observe or think about something with triumphant and often malicious satisfaction, gratification, or delight <gloat over an enemy's misfortune>

Update: to present newly discovered information in a timely manner. As in "Massachusetts Handshake Update".

ma_ref Tue Feb 26, 2008 03:00pm

Quote:

Any details of the incident?

BayStateRef Tue Feb 26, 2008 03:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma_ref
Any details of the incident?

I haven't heard yet.

But I did find this report in the Berkshire Eagle (http://www.berkshireeagle.com/sports/ci_8365016) of the South Hadley-Wahconah Regional game that included this potshot at an official:
Both teams burned a time out and then with 8.5 seconds left, Lennon and Santiago battled for a loose ball on the inbounds pass. Lennon deflected the ball, the two collided and inexplicably, referee Tom Zukonski whistled Lennon for the foul. Santiago made one of two to tie the game, and Wahconah didn't get off a shot, sending the game into overtime.
The home team lost. I figure if the sports writer can take such a public shot, it would not be hard to figure a fan at the game might do the same.

mick Tue Feb 26, 2008 03:39pm

Quote:

Update: to present newly discovered information in a timely manner. As in "Massachusetts Handshake Update".

I gloatingly enjoy the U.P.dates.
Please be assured that I would like to see the officials' presence absent. :)