The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2000, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I ref in an adult rec league where a few of the players are inclined to make some little comment about a call (or no-call) almost every time down the floor. I usually don't make a big deal out of it, but I wanted to run this comment by you guys to see what you think.

One team has gotten especially bad about making a lot of comments (many of them are absurd). I spoke with their captain after the game, and he informed me that players commenting on calls is "part of the game."

I disagreed (not surprisingly). I told him that he, as captain, is entitled to request a clarification on a call or rule if he has a concern.

My guess is that the problem arises since many of these guys have either never played organized ball or have not done so in years. Thus their primary point of contact with the game is watching the NBA and its incessant whining. (Shawn Kemp now does it publicly - see http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20000202/sp/bkn_kemp_s_fouls_2.html)

Before you even say it, I know that I should probably keep a tighter lid on the comments. I would never spend an entire HS game listening to it, so why should I here? It is a rec league, though, and I do try to be sensitive to the fact that these guys are supposed to be playing for fun.

Do you think it's "part of the game?" Do you think that this notion comes from watching the NBA?

[This message has been edited by JoeT (edited February 08, 2000).]
Old Tue Feb 08, 2000, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

No, not part of game. Not necessarily from NBA. You have a lot of want-a-be. I hope you have a good administration at the site. Probably not. You have to find what you will and will not put up with. Rec leagues can help you in the beginning. After awhile it will hurt your game in organized ball. good luck.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2000, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

I hear what you're saying about it being a rec league, so wanting to have more leniency. I generally go with the flow for a while, throwing in an occasional "nothing there" or "didn't get there in time" or the like, but after a while I draw the line and tell them "no more comments to the officials." After that, any vociferous complaint or comment would be penalized. If you work the same guys week after week, they will learn what you accept and don't accept and play accordingly. Some guys simply can't keep their mouths shut and will get their "T's," then generally just play after that and not risk being booted. Staying calm and matter-of-fact in these types of leagues is crucial. If you start talking to the players with an "attitude," it will only get uglier.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 03:13am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Call some Ts. When they complain, tell them that Ts are "part of the game."
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Mark P., I like your answer!! This reason alone is why I don't call rec league anymore. The insistent whining of over-the-hill wannabes gets annoying and hurts your tolerance level for "real" basketball. Start giving out "t" fouls and maybe they will get back to playing basketball instead of trying to referee it!!
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn on 02-09-2000 06:58 AM
Mark P., I like your answer!! This reason alone is why I don't call rec league anymore. The insistent whining of over-the-hill wannabes gets annoying and hurts your tolerance level for "real" basketball. Start giving out "t" fouls and maybe they will get back to playing basketball instead of trying to referee it!!

I, too, stopped doing adult rec leagues because it was more like babysitting.

But since I've been picked up by a local college associations, I found its a good way to strengthen my game control abilities, which have been tested at the next level.

At the college level, you get these same prima donnas who have something to say about most everything. Unlike HS games, these are adults, and they should know better (like that would ever happen!)

I have a higher propensity to T now. Makes for better games, and stronger officiating.