The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 02:18am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

2 Games tonight

Did two BV games tonight.

These are regional playoffs, a nice warmer for provincial finals in early March.

Game #2
---------
Situation 1, preamble: Visitors are ranked 7, Home ranked 2. Because 2 < 7, 2 is the home team, even thought this regional tournament is being held at the home gym of team 7. So this "home" team travelled about an hour. I'm 90 minutes from the venue, and my P is 30 minutes from the venue.

Situation 1: End of Q1. I'm T, table side. Airborne shooter A1 ("visiting" team playing on their home gym) gets bodied on the way down with zeros on the clock. Shot wasn't the greatest, but everyone's watching b/c it's going to be a nice shot if it drops. Tweet. Push on B1. Very dumb foul. After the dust settles for a few seconds and before the FTs, Team B coach yells out, "There's some home cookin'." Well, he was slightly correct. I served him a beverage: tea. I think it was Earl Grey, hot. Funny too was that this coach's assistant knows me, and knows that I live 90 minutes from the venue. LOL

Other situations: had a DOG warning, every free TO was granted, corrected 4 timing errors, including (a) the clock not starting due to equipment failure, and (b) with V (the real "home" team) having to go the entire length of the court with 4.9s left in Q3, they didn't touch the ball after the throw-in release in order for free real estate. Naturally, I look up at the clock and see 4.8, 4.7, 4.6. Tweet. Set things up again and H now presses.

Oh, and btw, Team 7 upset Team 2 at "home", by 3 points. The crowd was going nuts the last 5 minutes of the game. It made the game that much fun to do. My P was top-notch. He and I were both selected for the provincial finals tournament this year. The #2 ranked team just didn't want it as much. Their team name is the Ghosts. It sure looked like they weren't there for part of the game. LOL

2 calls I messed on: (a) called a travel when A1 was bobbling the ball when trying to receive a pass. Note to self: follow the fundamental of seeing the ball before calling a travel. (b) Had a hoop+harm sitch which I should have ruled excessive contact after the basket. B1 plows through A1 after A1 lands, and just as the ball is through the net.

Game #1:
---------
Home team ranked #1 and travelled 90 minutes, and is a HS about 9 minutes from my house. Visitors are #8 and travelled about 3h 30min. Visitors stayed in it for the first 3 quarters, but H pulled away in the 4th. H22 was a PG who I think gets a lot of calls in his city's regular season because he kept asking me why he was wasn't drawing fouls and also being called for PCs. He accepted my answer of his creating separation with his forarms. My P later overheard him admitting to pushing off after he fell to the ground during a loose ball.

H coach also knows me. He is a very very well known coach and always does a tremendous job. It's no surprise his team is #1. He had a nice way of trying to convince me that V's fouling of his star PG, said #22, were intentional.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 07:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
After the dust settles for a few seconds and before the FTs, Team B coach yells out, "There's some home cookin'." Well, he was slightly correct. I served him a beverage: tea.
Good call. No need for a warning imo when it's that blatant.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 12:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Great Line ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I served him a beverage: tea.
This is a great line. I've never heard it before. Did you "invent" this line? If you did, I'm sure that Mark Padgett is wishing that he thought it up. I suggest that you copyright it as soon as possible.

"I served him a beverage: tea" © 2008 JugglingReferee
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 05:59pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
This is a great line. I've never heard it before. Did you "invent" this line? If you did, I'm sure that Mark Padgett is wishing that he thought it up. I suggest that you copyright it as soon as possible.

"I served him a beverage: tea" © 2008 JugglingReferee
I don't recall hearing it before. It kinda flows with the coach's food comment though. LOL

We are all shaped by our environment, and that includes OF whether we like it or not. So to say that Padgett's humour hasn't rubbed off, we'll it's all a matter of degree, right?
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 07:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I have, in the past, announced we were going to have a "T" party when handing out double technicals. And...I didn't copyright it, I left it in the public domain because I'm just a heck of a nice guy.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2008, 08:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My 10% ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
We were going to have a "T" party when handing out double technicals. I didn't copyright it.
"We were going to have a "T" party" © 2008 Mark Padgett

I did it for you. Can I get 10% of the profits?