The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Two fouls on one play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42155-two-fouls-one-play.html)

harmbu Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:44pm

Two fouls on one play

The other night in a varsity girls game (FED) one of our players was called for a personal foul and an intentional foul on the same play. Yes, the official said that the two fouls were for the same act. Is this possible?

Kelvin green Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:46pm

I cant see how... not in any of my games

BillyMac Sat Feb 23, 2008 01:17pm

Hint Please ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by harmbu
The other night in a varsity girls game (FED) one of our players was called for a personal foul and an intentional foul on the same play. Yes, the official said that the two fouls were for the same act. Is this possible?

I'm with Kelvin green, but, please give us a hint. Was the intentional foul personal, or technical, in other words was it during a live ball, or a dead ball?

crazy voyager Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:23am

I think it is, if you have a personal foul first and it is then followed by a completly seperate foul shortly thereafter and the second foul is either tecnical, unsportmanlike or disqualifying then you would report both fouls and punish both...
But to for example have two diffrent fouls on a single shot motion (wich is how I interpet your post) sounds very unlikley, but not impossible

JugglingReferee Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:29am

Quote:

No. I can't imagine a case where it is possible. Not in Fed or FIBA, imho.

eg-italy Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
No. I can't imagine a case where it is possible. Not in Fed or FIBA, imho.

Nothing in FIBA rules prevents an official to call two fouls on the same play. Crazy Voyager has already explained a case and I agree completely. In normal plays it can happen that, for example, a shooter is fouled by two opponents almost simultaneously: I'd suggest to penalize the first foul, considering the second one incidental and caused by the other. Of course, if the second foul is not unsportsmanlike.

Such cases happen: a player is fouled and continues the shooting movement; another opponent fouls the shooter after the official's whistle, clearly to prevent a basket. I'd say foul and unsportsmanlike foul (intentional in Fed): four shots and the ball. Probably it won't happen any more in the game. ;)

Jurassic Referee Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eg-italy
Nothing in FIBA rules prevents an official to call two fouls on the same play. Crazy Voyager has already explained a case and I agree completely. In normal plays it can happen that, for example, a shooter is fouled by two opponents almost simultaneously: I'd suggest to penalize the first foul, considering the second one incidental and caused by the other. Of course, if the second foul is not unsportsmanlike.

Such cases happen: a player is fouled and continues the shooting movement; another opponent fouls the shooter after the official's whistle, clearly to prevent a basket. I'd say foul and unsportsmanlike foul (intentional in Fed): four shots and the ball. Probably it won't happen any more in the game. ;)

Your answer isn't relevant to the play being discussed. The original post said that the two foul calls were made for the <b>same</b> act, not for two <b>different and separate</b> acts.

JugglingReferee Sun Feb 24, 2008 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eg-italy

Please read the OP again.

Quote:

Yes, the official said that the two fouls were for the same act.

An act is something like B1 slapping the forearm of A1. If B1 and B2 both foul A1, then you have two acts.

eg-italy Sun Feb 24, 2008 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Your answer isn't relevant to the play being discussed. The original post said that the two foul calls were made for the <b>same</b> act, not for two <b>different and separate</b> acts.

I was assuming that the OP meant "the same play"; I can't see how to penalize twice the same act: this is impossible under any rule set.