The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Side-line coverage in two-man

I have a question regarding the proper two-man coverage when A1 is trapped against the side-line at about the middle of their front court on the opposite side of where the trail official is located. This seems to be a real blind area for two-man. There are times when the ball goes OOB in those situations, but neither trail nor lead seems to have a good look at it. To get a better look at the play, does the trail come all the way over to that side to get a better look, and/or does lead come up and out wider to get a better look? Or, something different?
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 12:58pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
I have a question regarding the proper two-man coverage when A1 is trapped against the side-line at about the middle of their front court on the opposite side of where the trail official is located. This seems to be a real blind area for two-man. There are times when the ball goes OOB in those situations, but neither trail nor lead seems to have a good look at it. To get a better look at the play, does the trail come all the way over to that side to get a better look, and/or does lead come up and out wider to get a better look? Or, something different?
Lead parallels ball to sideline and owns sideline.
Trail closes down over the top to get a better look.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Lead parallels ball to sideline and owns sideline.
Trail closes down over the top to get a better look.
So then you are saying that the trail would come all the way over to get a better angle?
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 01:35pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I had this exact situation once in a sity final. IMO, my P bailed too early and I had to use my best guess as to who gets the throw-in. After the game I was told I guessed wrong.

Nowadays, if this happens and I'm the L, I stay and help out when I can. If I'm the T, then I *really* work the arc. I move right over, although deeper than usual. I'd rather get the call correct than worry that I forced a rotation as T.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 02:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
So then you are saying that the trail would come all the way over to get a better angle?
"...All the way over" ?

No, I don't think so. That's Lead's sideline.
And Trail does not need to see that. But, Trail may want that better angle to see the action, keeping in mind that there are other players playing.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

You are in trails primary

So, the trail has to go over. Even if means you have to go all the way to the opposite sideline to get a good view. If this occurs, you could actually cause a two man rotation where the lead would eventually move across the lane. we cover this in most camps.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Diagrams please... some of us are visual people

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 03:02pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian
So, the trail has to go over. Even if means you have to go all the way to the opposite sideline to get a good view. If this occurs, you could actually cause a two man rotation where the lead would eventually move across the lane. we cover this in most camps.
Going to the sideline is not a must, just because it's Trail's primary. There is a chance to be too close to the play to see the play. Trail can see a lot of stuff from the top of the circle ! ...And mileage may vary.

But, yeah, a rotation could be forced if Lead gets nervous and bails out, because Lead isn't comfortable working strong-side mechanics, or if a corner-to-corner skip pass is made, someone has to get over there.

All things considered, I would hope that Lead keeps his sideline, and that Trail doesn't forget what's happening in the rest of his primary.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

In this situation as Trail, I would move into the BC as not to obsecure my vision.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 03:15pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
In this situation as Trail, I would move into the BC as not to obsecure my vision.
That can work on a small court, but maybe not on a larger court.
It sorta depends on where the the trap is applied.
If the trap is near the division line, going backcourt makes lotsa sense. Conversely, if the trap is near free throw line extended we may not see much.

But ya, don't let any moss be growin' under yer feet. There ain't no fixed restrictions on where an official can be.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Would it be reasonable to say that in a situation like this, that even though the play is in trail's primary coverage area, lead has primary responsibility for the OOB because it is lead's side-line, but trail needs to make a strong effort to come up high and over some and help?
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 03:46pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Would it be reasonable to say that in a situation like this, that even though the play is in trail's primary coverage area, lead has primary responsibility for the OOB because it is lead's side-line, but trail needs to make a strong effort to come up high and over some and help?
Well, again, coming "up high" may not give the best look depending on where the spaces are between the defender(s) and the ball handler, but certainly, making the strong effort to get there is a good idea.

And we remain aware that if/when the ball goes out of bounds, it is Lead who *blows* the violation (the ball touching out of bounds).
If Lead needs help, he looks to Trail.
If Trail has it he points.
If Trail doesn't agree, they chat.
If Trail doesn't have it he goes "thumbs up".

Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Mick. That makes sense.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
That can work on a small court, but maybe not on a larger court.
It sorta depends on where the the trap is applied.
If the trap is near the division line, going backcourt makes lotsa sense. Conversely, if the trap is near free throw line extended we may not see much.

But ya, don't let any moss be growin' under yer feet. There ain't no fixed restrictions on where an official can be.
If it's near FT line extended lead should come off the endline around the corner to take it, trail should then step down...more like a C...and officiate off ball. That's the way I pregame it.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 04:16pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
If it's near FT line extended lead should come off the endline around the corner to take it, trail should then step down...more like a C...and officiate off ball. That's the way I pregame it.
We're free to "move to improve", but what you are suggesting seems to hint that we may be uncovering the endline and the division line because Lead stepped up annd Trail closed down.

If I am seeing this correctly, there will be no officials for possible line violations during a particularly stressful situation for the player who has a ball that he doesn't want anymore.