The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2000, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Our assignor asked for volunteers to sub on sophomore games. I did one tonight. We had an ugly looking play where the shooter was out of control on a baseline drive, he had his shot blocked because he was off balance and then fell down. I was the lead on the side opposite the shot attempt. I passed on the foul, feeling I would have bailed him out. The varsity coach who is standing behind me in the corner goes ballistic. With his second yelling, I looked at him, told him to shut up (not good) and I had heard enough. He was quiet after that. I am thinking if I had to T him a bench T would have been a good idea so the sophomore coach would have had his would not have been overly penalized (he was fine as he accepted my interpretion of the play).
P.S. I talked with my partner who had a great look. He saw a clean block and nothing else. he also mentioned that the shooter's fans never said a word and we all know they would have screamed bloody murder on the slightest amount of contact.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
We have a coach here in Midland, Tx who does that as well. He tries to "mold" young officials to call the way that he wants the game to be called. This is a tough situation, because your actual head coach for this game is conducting himself well. I don't know if a bench "t" would be a good idea in this situation, because from what I understand, he isn't bench personell. As far as I am concerned he is just another fan, and you can get an administrator, (alot of times, his/her boss!!!) to calm the coach down and have him sit in the stands. Especially if he is going to be giving you "tips" on how to call the game that isn't even his!!!
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Don't ya just it...everyones a critic..LOL
I think you handled it ok (maybe he needed scolding). I may have (a) shaken my head, indicating I saw the play and "it was a NO call" and/or (b) said to coach/critic I'll explain it to at half time (next break, after game...)
As an aside, I heard a varsity ref say (quietly so only a few could hear) to a mouthy asst. coach once, "He (head coach) is going to be upset if he has to sit down". Meaning: if you (asst. coach) get a bench T, the head guy will have the "seat belt" rule in effect (i.e. he can not stand up the rest of the game!)
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Try to keep your replies to no more than three words in a non-disrespectful way. A good warning is "thats enough" with a stop sign.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, if you tell him "that's enough!!" you usually quiet them down without backing yourself into a corner that you can't get out of without a tech.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2000, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by buffett on 02-08-2000 10:38 PM
Our assignor asked for volunteers to sub on sophomore games. I did one tonight. We had an ugly looking play where the shooter was out of control on a baseline drive, he had his shot blocked because he was off balance and then fell down. I was the lead on the side opposite the shot attempt. I passed on the foul, feeling I would have bailed him out. The varsity coach who is standing behind me in the corner goes ballistic. With his second yelling, I looked at him, told him to shut up (not good) and I had heard enough. He was quiet after that. I am thinking if I had to T him a bench T would have been a good idea so the sophomore coach would have had his would not have been overly penalized (he was fine as he accepted my interpretion of the play).
P.S. I talked with my partner who had a great look. He saw a clean block and nothing else. he also mentioned that the shooter's fans never said a word and we all know they would have screamed bloody murder on the slightest amount of contact.

The varsity coach was or wasn't on the bench? Was he a spectator or part of bench personnel?