The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Blew a time out call

Team A bringing ball up court with no pressure and B coach jumps up and wants a Time out. I blow my whistle and as soon as I did I realized team A had the ball. I went through and gave B their Time out but could I have just gone with an inadvertant whistle. I knew immedietely before I granted the Time out I was wrong.
Comments
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 02:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFFICIAL
Team A bringing ball up court with no pressure and B coach jumps up and wants a Time out. I blow my whistle and as soon as I did I realized team A had the ball. I went through and gave B their Time out but could I have just gone with an inadvertant whistle. I knew immedietely before I granted the Time out I was wrong.
Comments
IMO: if all you've done is blow the whistle, then all you have is an IW, making the ball dead. If B then requests a TO, you gotta give it to them. However, if after the IW, you do signal, I think you can't retract it.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 02:58pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFFICIAL
Comments
Case 5.8.3 Situation E says once granted the time-out cannot be revoked and is charged to Team B. [shrug]
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
That is one of the reasons that I always pause before granting a timeout just to make sure its the team with the ball asking for one. I have had coaches try this several times and pausing usually helps!!!! It has happened to everyone....live and learn.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Pausing is ideal but sometimes not realistic. On a loose ball where you have a scrum, both coaching acting like the sky is falling while requesting a time out and leaving yoou to decide.

I have however, done exactly what you said. I went with IW, then asked B coach if they still wanted the T.O. which they did, thankfully.

What if youo went with the IW and then the coach said no thanks I don't need T.O. now????
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me
Pausing is ideal but sometimes not realistic. On a loose ball where you have a scrum, both coaching acting like the sky is falling while requesting a time out and leaving yoou to decide.

I have however, done exactly what you said. I went with IW, then asked B coach if they still wanted the T.O. which they did, thankfully.

What if youo went with the IW and then the coach said no thanks I don't need T.O. now????
On a loose ball when both are screaming for it, you can only grant a timeout once a player establishes control, and I only grant it if that player clearly has control on his own - otherwise held ball.

So I don't see why pausing is an issue at all there. Let someone get control, determine their team wants the TO, and then grant it.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

yes and while your pausing after control has been established, 3 more kids pile on knocking the ball loose
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 11:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
yes and while your pausing after control has been established, 3 more kids pile on knocking the ball loose
Um, if kids pile on, that's a foul.

That was a POE a few years ago.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Besides Jurassic being correct, I'm not advocating pausing long, simply saying that if I see a player has control, and know that team is requesting a TO, I'm simply glancing quickly to make certain his bench wants it - basically as I'm granting it. If in the tenths of a second it takes to verify what I've heard someone knocks it loose, I'm still granting the TO.

Same as if I verify a coach wants a TO after a made basket, but by the time I blow my whistle the other team is already inbounding the ball - the TO was actually granted before the team had the ball at its disposal, my whistle was just late.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 07:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can FIBA, or "Feeble", Possibly Be Better ???

Quote:
Pausing is ideal but sometimes not realistic. On a loose ball where you have a scrum, both coaching acting like the sky is falling while requesting a time out and leaving you to decide.
A good reason for the NFHS to change the rule back to when only a player on the floor could call, oops, I mean request, a timeout.

I understand that FIBA rules are even more restrictive, and make the official's job even easier to grant timeouts.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 06:39am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Last night, I'm watching a V first round playoff game. A1 misses a shot, ball batted around, scrum for the loose ball, B1 comes up with it and goes the other way. A2 is sprawled on the floor under A's basket. B moves down floor and is into running it's offense 5 on 4. A2 limps by Trail still in the backcourt and says something to him. Trail immediately calls timeout....B coach goes nuts! He seemed to be saying - How can you call a timeout when I have the ball and am moving in for a shot? You can't do that! That's wrong! What's your reasoning?

A2 limps off and is replaced. T and C meet at halfcourt......I woulda like to have heard that conversation....... Ball put back in play by B, under B's basket - where it was at POI.

Last edited by grunewar; Wed Feb 20, 2008 at 06:48am.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 08:06am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Last night, I'm watching a V first round playoff game. A1 misses a shot, ball batted around, scrum for the loose ball, B1 comes up with it and goes the other way. A2 is sprawled on the floor under A's basket. B moves down floor and is into running it's offense 5 on 4. A2 limps by Trail still in the backcourt and says something to him. Trail immediately calls timeout....B coach goes nuts! He seemed to be saying - How can you call a timeout when I have the ball and am moving in for a shot? You can't do that! That's wrong! What's your reasoning?

A2 limps off and is replaced. T and C meet at halfcourt......I woulda like to have heard that conversation....... Ball put back in play by B, under B's basket - where it was at POI.
There is a D1 superviser out west that hates this thinking. Who did the official charge the timeout to?

It has nothing to do with a timeout, but I hope everyone paid attention to what Jurassic said. If one player is on the floor and someone jumps on him to tie the ball up that isn't a held ball, it is a foul. This play is overlooked too often - probably because it isn't a popular call.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 08:11am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Who did the official charge the timeout to?.
I believe it was an officials timeout. Not charged to a team. Player was replaced quickly and ball put in play.