The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Special Olympics Tournament

I worked a Special Olympics tournament today. Both games are top bracket winners and young adult/adult teams. First game - nice and refreshing to see the kids enjoy the game for what it is. Second game - My partner and I almost threw out the visiting team two coaches. In first two minutes of Q1, the v coach entices a home player by saying - go ahead and take me on - throw the first punch- after he just got done pleading his case to us that the home team was mouthy and explosive based on their age and disabilities. IMO - he was baiting... I tried to calm him down and told him that he is the adult and needs to walk away - his response - those kids are not disciplined by the coach, parents or anyone. I told him that it wasn't his responsibilty to do that - his was to be the adult coach and worry about his own team - his response - NO - if no one else is going to discipline them I will....

Of course later in the game, he was up and down complaining about traveling and any touch that he felt was a foul. My partner (great official) told him to have a seat, we didn't give him a t because the game was close (they were down by 4) and we didn't want his team to bear the brunt of his actions. During the course of the game - we were in contact with On site coordinator during the whole game. She also let us know that the SO Regional Coordinator was sitting behind V bench and taking lots of notes. These two knucklehead coaches from V will probably be removed from the positions according to her after the game. The Local Coordinator came in the locker room afterward and said that a call was in to State Office to file complaints against the coaches for their actions. Can you believe it??? both teams (irregardless of outcome of game) were headed to state play anyway.

what is the world coming to when even special olympics is tainted by immature and dangerous coaches. The coordinators have been running this tournament for over 20 years and have never had anything like it.

I post this because I was shocked and as an FYI - there is no need to post whether you feel we should have whacked and sent him packing. If you have never worked Special Olympics - it would be hard to imagine the scenario and understand why we didn't.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 10:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw
I worked a Special Olympics tournament today. Both games are top bracket winners and young adult/adult teams. First game - nice and refreshing to see the kids enjoy the game for what it is. Second game - My partner and I almost threw out the visiting team two coaches. In first two minutes of Q1, the v coach entices a home player by saying - go ahead and take me on - throw the first punch- after he just got done pleading his case to us that the home team was mouthy and explosive based on their age and disabilities. IMO - he was baiting... I tried to calm him down and told him that he is the adult and needs to walk away - his response - those kids are not disciplined by the coach, parents or anyone. I told him that it wasn't his responsibilty to do that - his was to be the adult coach and worry about his own team - his response - NO - if no one else is going to discipline them I will....

Of course later in the game, he was up and down complaining about traveling and any touch that he felt was a foul. My partner (great official) told him to have a seat, we didn't give him a t because the game was close (they were down by 4) and we didn't want his team to bear the brunt of his actions. During the course of the game - we were in contact with On site coordinator during the whole game. She also let us know that the SO Regional Coordinator was sitting behind V bench and taking lots of notes. These two knucklehead coaches from V will probably be removed from the positions according to her after the game. The Local Coordinator came in the locker room afterward and said that a call was in to State Office to file complaints against the coaches for their actions. Can you believe it??? both teams (irregardless of outcome of game) were headed to state play anyway.

what is the world coming to when even special olympics is tainted by immature and dangerous coaches. The coordinators have been running this tournament for over 20 years and have never had anything like it.

I post this because I was shocked and as an FYI - there is no need to post whether you feel we should have whacked and sent him packing. If you have never worked Special Olympics - it would be hard to imagine the scenario and understand why we didn't.
No offense, but why didn't you eject this clown?

Seems like a T was in order, but I do understand why you wouldn't.

Good!
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 10:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw

In Special Olympics, I'd probably just have the coach removed.

I've volunteered a number of years and I understand why you didn't want to put points on the board, BTW.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 10:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw
irregardless
Sorry, the Mr. Grammar Guy in me jumped out at this. There's no such word. If there was, it would mean "not regardless" which makes no sense anyway and is just the opposite of what your trying to imply.

OK - now that I got that out of my system, congrats for working this. I did a few games for them about 6 or 7 years ago. They were probably the most rewarding games I've ever worked. I did them as a volunteer and I would do them again without any hesitation.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 11:50pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Sorry, the Mr. Grammar Guy in me jumped out at this. There's no such word. If there was, it would mean "not regardless" which makes no sense anyway and is just the opposite of what your trying to imply.

OK - now that I got that out of my system, congrats for working this. I did a few games for them about 6 or 7 years ago. They were probably the most rewarding games I've ever worked. I did them as a volunteer and I would do them again without any hesitation.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 02:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I didn't say I was "Mr. Spelling Guy". Maybe I should have said "Mr. Vocabulary Guy".
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 04:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw
we didn't give him a t because the game was close (they were down by 4) and we didn't want his team to bear the brunt of his actions.
Sorry, but those are nothing but excuses. If you don't want to hand out a righteous "T", then you have no right to complain.

Jmo.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 04:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw
In first two minutes of Q1, the v coach entices a home player by saying - go ahead and take me on - throw the first punch- after he just got done pleading his case to us that the home team was mouthy and explosive based on their age and disabilities. IMO - he was baiting... I tried to calm him down and told him that he is the adult and needs to walk away - his response - those kids are not disciplined by the coach, parents or anyone. I told him that it wasn't his responsibilty to do that - his was to be the adult coach and worry about his own team - his response - NO - if no one else is going to discipline them I will....
That coach sounds like an abuser. Seems odd that he's coaching in that capacity, er... was coaching in that capacity.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 07:37pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I shalst disagree with Mr. Grammar Guy..... I used to believe the same thing.

nonstandard : regardless

usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

And this is from Merriam-Webster.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 07:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just A Joke, Please Don't Hit Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Merriam-Webster.
Is she one of those feminists with a hyphenated name?