The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

"pet-peeve"

Thinking that this might be an interesting question.
What do you find most irritating about an official that you might be working with or watching?
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpfive
What do you find most irritating about an official that you might be working with or watching?
The most annoying thing is looking up during the game and my partner is right next to me...
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpfive

I'd say the most frustrating thing about working with some of the people up here is the lack of time appreciation. Partners who show up late (Yes, 5 minutes before tip-off is late) drive me up the wall. The other thing that gets to me (sometimes) is partners who don't comunicate with me on the floor.

Case in point... 2-person. HS girls tourny final, rival schools (White vs Red). Partner calls a foul on Red as L in a scrum, reports the foul without telling me what is going on with ball. I give the ball the Red, thinking partner called the foul on white (bad on me for not checking I know...). Red in-bounds, drives, gets fouled in the act of shooting. My call. Now I get to explain to the White coach why her team got double whammy'd. All this could of been avoided by 2 things -

1. Partner could of not been in a rush to report and communicated what was to happen with the ball.

2. I could of gone seeking more information from my partner, to be sure we're giving the ball to the correct team.

Other than that 99.99% of the people I work with are great to work with. The other 0.01%, I've blocked due to personality conflicts.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 05:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

My biggest pet peeve has nothing to do with officiating. It's when my opera cape gets snagged on some homeless person's junk.

I hate when that happens.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta
The other 0.01%, I've blocked due to personality conflicts.
Don't let theoracle read this...He might be forced to move to your area to work these .01% of officials to improve them. That would invariable ruin it for the other 99.99% of officials that he wont find need to improve at all.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Individuals thinking that Women's basketball is NOT basketball.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
Don't let theoracle read this...He might be forced to move to your area to work these .01% of officials to improve them. That would invariable ruin it for the other 99.99% of officials that he wont find need to improve at all.
Boy, I wish I could at least understand the jab you are trying to throw.

Bad communication stinks. But my pet peeve is guys that don't physically hustle. That is about the only thing that we can all control 100%. There is no excuse for not physically trying.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Refusal to rotate.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with working with guys who think the girls games are just something to do since they are not working a guys game that night. Wait, a bigger pet peeve is finding out that they end up at the state tournament level for girls.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

In two man - the guys who don't hustle, don't switch, and then roll the ball to you all night.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 10:25pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I keeping waiting for someone to say it is a partner who leaves the seat up.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 10:35pm
This IS My Social Life

Biggest Peeve

Biggest peeve is when meeting an official in the dressing room, he begins the conversation blabbing about the last technical he dished out.

Second biggest peeve is when the Referee begins the pre-game captains' meeting with, "OK fellas, we're going to play the solid black line all the way around," as if on some nights they might consider the bleachers the OB boundary.

Third biggest peeve is when the dressing room location is a side-office off one of the teams' locker rooms so we have to walk with them or past them to get to/from the dressing room.

Fourth biggest peeve is a partner who doesn't stop play for a violation with an upraised, open hand, but just gives the violation signal immediately.

Fifth biggest peeve is a partner who calls "out of bounds", then turns to retrieve the ball from wherever it went instead of letting a player get it.

Other than that, I don't have any peeves, not even pet ones.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga314ref
... and then roll the ball to you all night.
Where did "rolling" the ball get started?? A chest pass, a bounce pass or even a lob over the players heads. I am 6'3" why in the heck are the "rollers" making me bend all the way over to the floor?
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Watching the ball.

When I'm observing, you can see what an official is looking at by looking at their eyes. Unbelievable amount of 'experienced' officials following the ball.

When my partner calls a foul/violation in my area. It's pretty obvious they aren't watching their own area.

I've tried all the comments, such as "what were other 8 players doing while we were both watching the ball", etc. Those don't work very well.

My favorite comment was when the Lead called traveling on a player that just crossed the division line. I waited until the next dead ball and said "You really saved me on that last one". Partner says "What"? I say, "That last traveling call. It was right in front of me and I somehow missed it. Thanks for helping me out on that one".

I don't know if he started watching his own area, but he didn't make any more calls in my area.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 07:00am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Officials that don't:

- show up early/on time

- take pride in their appearance,

- hustle on the court,

- study the game but "think/act like they know everything"

- give each game "their all" as they are just going through the motions because maybe this game is beneath them. "I mean, gosh, how can I still be doing JV, MS, F, and rec games?"

And officials that aren't willing to learn, admit mistakes, and help the younger and newer guys/gals coming up.