The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3 seconds (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41949-3-seconds.html)

Johnny Ringo Fri Feb 15, 2008 06:10pm

3 seconds

When does the three-second count officially begin?

Ball in the backcourt - player in the lane, etc ...

Mark Padgett Fri Feb 15, 2008 06:52pm

When a player enters the lane with his or her team in team control. Was there a particular reason you were confused about this? Is this about a certain call that happened in a game?

deecee Fri Feb 15, 2008 06:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
When a player enters the lane with his or her team in team control. Was there a particular reason you were confused about this? Is this about a certain call that happened in a game?

...and the ball is in the front court

Mark Padgett Fri Feb 15, 2008 06:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee
...and the ball is in the front court

Yeah, forgot that part. No five second or three second counts when the ball is in the back court.

Johnny Ringo Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:30am

Call was made in a playoff game and ball was in flight from BC to FC ... horrible call.

BoomerSooner Sat Feb 16, 2008 03:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Yeah, forgot that part. No five second or three second counts when the ball is in the back court.

unless you are calling a women's NCAA game, in which case you can have a 5 second count in the back court. :p

crazy voyager Sat Feb 16, 2008 06:59am

players team in control
Ball in F/C
Player in the lane
Game clock running

BillyMac Sat Feb 16, 2008 01:29pm

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

The intent of the three-second rule is to not allow an offensive player to gain an advantage. There is no three-second count between the release of a shot and the control of a rebound, at which time a new count starts. There is no three-second count during a throwin. There is no three-second count while the ball is in the backcourt. Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for goal.

emtp Sat Feb 16, 2008 02:36pm

3 seconds

Had a partner last night at a district game who called two 3 second violations when the play was no where near the key and the player had nothing to do w/ the play. Ball is in the front court. Question is, and I do understand that yes it is a violation but, until she recieve's the ball or become's part of the play I may not call this because it is a play stopper and interrupts flow. Opinions

BillyMac Sat Feb 16, 2008 02:43pm

Get Ready Cause Here It Comes ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by emtp
Had a partner last night at a district game who called two 3 second violations when the play was no where near the key and the player had nothing to do with the play. Question is, and I do understand that yes it is a violation but, until she recieve's the ball or become's part of the play I may not call this because it is a play stopper and interrupts flow. Opinions

emtp: Duck. Here it comes. Get ready. Unless you want to get your head blown off, I suggest that you go back to your original post and get rid of terms like "play stopper", and "interupts flow". Change those terms to advantage / disadvantage, and you may get some positive, or negative, feedback, but, at least, you'll probably escape with your life.

As for me, I'm choosing to sit this one out, sit back, and watch the fireworks.

Sorry about the mixed metaphors. I'm a scientist, not a writer.

deecee Sat Feb 16, 2008 02:58pm

Quote:

Had a partner last night at a district game who called two 3 second violations when the play was no where near the key and the player had nothing to do w/ the play. Ball is in the front court. Question is, and I do understand that yes it is a violation but, until she recieve's the ball or become's part of the play I may not call this because it is a play stopper and interrupts flow. Opinions

I dont think its our part to worry about "play stopper" or "the flow" -- of course we would love a great flowing game. However its the players and their actions that determine that, not our job.

emtp Sat Feb 16, 2008 04:08pm

3 seconds

Billymac, you are right verbage is everything, I should have used advantage-disadvantage. It becomes an advantage when they become part of the play, blowing my whistle then. If you don't here from me again that means I called 911, send flowers.:D

Jurassic Referee Sat Feb 16, 2008 04:12pm

Quote:

Ball is in the front court. Question is, and I do understand that yes it is a violation but, until she recieve's the ball or become's part of the play I may not call this because <font color = red>it is a play stopper and interrupts flow.</font>

Every single time you blow your whistle, you stop play and interrupt flow. Soooooo......if you want to avoid play-stoppers and flow-interrupters, you simply should <b>never</b> blow your whistle. Correct?

emtp Sat Feb 16, 2008 04:16pm

3 seconds

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Every single time you blow your whistle, you stop play and interrupt flow. Soooooo......if you want to avoid play-stoppers and flow-interrupters, you simply should <b>never</b> blow your whistle. Correct?

I admitted to my verbage mistake, I'm willing to take my tounge lashing but be kind about it, or not.:D

Jurassic Referee Sat Feb 16, 2008 04:25pm

Quote:

I admitted to my verbage mistake, I'm willing to take my tounge lashing but be kind about it.:)

There's no tongue lashing involved nor was anything like that ever intended. I was just wondering about the phrases you used. They seem to be quite common lately in different forms. Maybe it's just me, but most of the time it seems that the so-called "game interrupters" being discussed are just your normal, every-day judgment calls.

Sometimes, we tend to think waaaaaay too much about some of the calls that we make imo.