The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Someone in another thread here asked whether or not the official book was verified by the coach. I was suprised at the answer and wondered who is/isn't doing the paperwork before the game. I'm talking NF only. I know we don't check the book in nc2a (we shouldn't have to in HS either...)

For you varsity R1's, what do you do and when do you do it concerning the official game book? I'd also like to know when and why you wouldn't do it.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

We do check the book in fed. I go over at about 11 to see that all the proper info is at the table.

I sign it for myself and partners and initial below the last person with the player count. That way if there is an edition, we know it was after the 10 min. mark.

I also run down the numbers to make sure they are all legal numbers.

This is the same time I am giving my table speil, checking the ball, and getting the 411 on pregame intro etc.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert
Someone in another thread here asked whether or not the official book was verified by the coach. I was suprised at the answer and wondered who is/isn't doing the paperwork before the game. I'm talking NF only. I know we don't check the book in nc2a (we shouldn't have to in HS either...)

For you varsity R1's, what do you do and when do you do it concerning the official game book? I'd also like to know when and why you wouldn't do it.
I think all of us check the book prior to the 10-minute mark. The question is whether we have the coaches sign the book after we've checked it.

In Illinois, we generally don't. If the number of players in the book is at least as large as the number we see warming up, all the numbers are legal, and there are no duplicates, we're done. The coaches know it's their responsibility, and I've never had a problem issuing a T if the book was wrong. Once, I even had a coach expecting a T when I didn't need to give it to her (the official book copied the information from the roster incorrectly. Since the coach correctly supplied the information, the requirements of 10-1-1, 10-1-2 were met and there was no T.)

During the playoffs, the IHSA instructs us to have the coaches sign the books. The games matter more, then.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 06:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I try to be at the table at 12:30 during varsity games. All I care is the information there, and as Bob says, makes sure that all the numbers are legal and that we do not have too many players on the court then in the book. If the coaches and book people cannot get that straight, the deserve a T. I will not give one for a simple copy mistake, but if the information is wrong, not problem administering one then.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Officials Pregame Protocol

I like to use the guidelines set forth in the 2001-2003 OFFICIALS MANUAL. Page 88 and 89

Basically states a 0:15:00-0:12:00-0:10:00-0:01:30 procedure for Two Conferences and a 0:15:00-0:12:00-0:10:00 procedure for a Single Conference.

Two Conferences...check the book at the 10 minute mark (I check it right after the captains meeting that was held at the 12 minute mark, usually is about at the 10 min. mark) Then meet coaches at the 01:30 mark.

Single Conferences...check the book at the 12 minute mark then meet coaches and captains at the 10 min. mark.

Of course the 15:00 minute mark is when the Officials come out on the floor for both procedures.

RD

RD
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Talking Hey, this was our idea!

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Two Conferences...check the book at the 10 minute mark (I check it right after the captains meeting that was held at the 12 minute mark, usually is about at the 10 min. mark) Then meet coaches at the 01:30 mark.
Our association came up with this time table last year. We shared it with Dick Knox and he took it to Indy where they published it in the Officials Manual this year.

I know that many check the book prior to the 10 min. mark. If that works for you, great! But we check it at the 10 min. mark. Why? Coaches are adults. I shouldn't have to remind them that a roster has to be submitted. Only once have I ever had to call a T for the roster not being supplied. And it was on a lazy middle school coach who still hadn't supplied it when the clock reached 0:00.

I've on had one book T this year. A kid was sick last game. A differnet kid was sick for our game but the other kid was back. The coach doesn't list players who aren't at the game but he does use the preivous game's roster. Pretty dumb, eh? So, we had the right amount of players but we still had a player who wasn't in the book. It can't always be avoided, no matter what you do.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
We do check the book in fed. I go over at about 11 to see that all the proper info is at the table.

I sign it for myself and partners and initial below the last person with the player count. That way if there is an edition, we know it was after the 10 min. mark.

I also run down the numbers to make sure they are all legal numbers.

This is the same time I am giving my table speil, checking the ball, and getting the 411 on pregame intro etc.
This is basically the same way I do things. We never have the coach verify/sign the book.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2002, 10:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Tom,
We put the stickers in the book.
Count the number of players we counted during warmups.
Then, make the numbers match if we must, usually by crossing off a name.
Look for five slashes

Turn and get captains.

We don't do the froufrou.
mick
Old Sat Feb 23, 2002, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Do you (as officials) ever sign the book for a sub-varstiy game? I never have and was curious if it is done elsewhere?
Old Sat Feb 23, 2002, 09:34am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
Do you (as officials) ever sign the book for a sub-varstiy game? I never have and was curious if it is done elsewhere?
Doug,
In Michigan we must put name, town, MHSAA number at every level in book, per book.
mick
Old Sat Feb 23, 2002, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:
In Michigan we must put name, town, MHSAA number at every level in book, per book.
mick
That sure sounds like "froufrou" to me, mick. Yuck.

Chuck
Old Sat Feb 23, 2002, 01:05pm
In Memoriam

Wink

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
mick
That sure sounds like "froufrou" to me, mick. Yuck.

Chuck
We just use stickers, Chuck.
(Some guys use pencils.)
One guy can do all three of us.
If they are left-handed labels, I can usually knock that off in about 4-5 minutes.
mick
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
We are required to do this for all levels, even Middle Schools.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

that is really interesting, I have never. I wonder why we don't do it in the good ol' state of wisconsin.