The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Team A is bringing the ball up the backcourt after a made basket by Team B. I am Lead and watching the players run toward the frontcourt, keeping even with the pack. There is no press. As I am watching the majority of the players I hear a whistle and out of the corner of my eye I see the ball go out of bounds on my side. The ball goes OOB in the backcourt and I am in the frontcourt. My partner, the Trail, looks at me for help. (BTW we are doing two man)

I don't have anything to offer...a player goes to the spot for a throw in and he guesses "that way" toward Team A. He must have gotten it right...no complaints.

As Lead in the frontcourt...do I have responsablilty for the line on my side in the backcourt? Again, my back wasn't turned to the players...but, I was watching the action in front of me and couldn't help my partner.

RD
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The answer varies from official to official. I work all my HS games in 2-man, so this comes up in conversation a lot. The only way to handle it is to talk about it in pre-game.

One solution is to have the Trail (since he is presumably "on-ball" anyway) blow all OOB calls in the backcourt.

The other solution is to have the Lead peeking at the line and blow the whistle, then look to the Trail for help if needed.

I have done it both ways this season. And I don't really have a preference. I dislike them both equally The Lead shouldn't have to watch it b/c he's watching the majority of the players in the frontcourt. The Trail shouldn't have to call b/c it's on the sideline opposite from him.

But whichever way you think is better, you should definitely discuss it with your partner before the game so that you're both on the same page when it happens.

This whole discussion, by the way, also applies to a frontcourt trap at the division line (on the Lead's sideline).

Chuck
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 08:01am
Administrator

I think that Chuck's analysis of the situation is a good one. Under both the NFHS and CCA Men's Two-person mechanics, each official is responsible for his/her side line and end line as described in the diagrams.

The problem occurs when the ball goes out of bounds on the off-ball official's side line. Most of the time the official who has the side line is aware that the ball went out of bounds but does not know who caused the ball to go out of bounds (in these cases the on-ball official should know who caused the ball to go out of bounds). Sometimes the off-ball official, due to action away from the ball, is not even aware that the ball did go out of bounds.

If the off-ball official knows the ball went out of bounds, he should sound his whistle and then go to his partner and let his partner make the call. In those rare situations where the off-ball official does not even know that the ball went out of bounds the on-ball official should wait and see if the off-ball official is going to sound his whistle and if he does not, then the on-ball official has to take charge of the play.

Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

These are very good comments from both of you! Thank you for your insight. I will definetly "borrow" your knowledge for my next pre-game.

I must say that I lean toward using Chuck's solution of having the Trail blow all OOB calls in the backcourt. Unless, of course there is a press...then the Lead would be there to help and would hence have a better look at his sideline.

RD

Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Rookie Dude:

The previous two gentlemen described this situation perfectly. I abhor hearing two whistles on an out of bounds play. This suggests that both officials are watching the ball on the play. We usually decide in pre-game to call our lines. So on the backcourt out of bounds on the leads' line the lead would blow the whistle then look to the trail for the call. If he doesn't have it the we go to the alternate possession. If you decide to have the trail call all of the backcourt OOB you could run into trouble on traps and presses when the lead is helping out at half court. I've found that the fewer double whistles you have the better the game goes for both of you.

Keep 'em "straight up"
Old Thu Feb 21, 2002, 09:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
These are very good comments from both of you! Thank you for your insight. I will definetly "borrow" your knowledge for my next pre-game.

I must say that I lean toward using Chuck's solution of having the Trail blow all OOB calls in the backcourt. Unless, of course there is a press...then the Lead would be there to help and would hence have a better look at his sideline.

RD

RookieDude,
Trail should recognize that the ball is too far away. He should flex to the ball.
If the Trail will get off his line and move onto the court, toward the key, while the ball is moving up toward the FC, then that BC sideline will have better coverage.
mick