The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Tales from 1st Year: Dumbass

Sheesh.

8th grade boys CYO. Inbounding at division line. Player A2 leaps from front court, receives ball from inbounder in the air, lands in back court. I fill the whistle with air.

Immediately coach says, "no its not. no control" or somesuch.

Kinda froze. I had doubts, go to confer with partner who had arrived late, just rolled out of bed. He was useless. I say inadvertant whistle... Team A keeps ball.

It was funny. I blew the whistle immediately, but then immediately after that had doubts. In so many situations that have occurred for me, I wish I had blown the whistle, but had doubts and didn't -- could not pull the trigger. Now here, I blow the whistle immediately and then lose confidence/ brain fart in the call. For a moment there I was genuinely unsure and had no support.

Its just funny how this learning process is going -- how the brain works/doesn't work in the real time world of officiating basketball.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 04:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
8th grade boys CYO. Inbounding at division line. Player A2 leaps from front court, receives ball from inbounder in the air, lands in back court. I fill the whistle with air.

Immediately coach says, "no its not. no control" or somesuch.

Kinda froze. I had doubts, go to confer with partner who had arrived late, just rolled out of bed. He was useless. I say inadvertant whistle... Team A keeps ball.

It was funny. I blew the whistle immediately, but then immediately after that had doubts. In so many situations that have occurred for me, I wish I had blown the whistle, but had doubts and didn't -- could not pull the trigger. Now here, I blow the whistle immediately and then lose confidence/ brain fart in the call. For a moment there I was genuinely unsure and had no support.

Its just funny how this learning process is going -- how the brain works/doesn't work in the real time world of officiating basketball.
Sheesh.

Learn the rules...specifically rule 9-9-3. Legal play.

Word.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Worked with a 1st year official last night. She missed a kinda subtle back court violation (and before you ask why I was looking out there, I normally wouldn't be but the play began with a long rebound, that was repeatedly batted, saved back in bounds, and all manner of craziness, some of it along my sideline near half court).

In talking with her about that call, I was reminded of how much of the ability I take for granted now was gained by screwing plays up my first couple of years, before I finally got to where I could call them right consistently. You're on the right track, rumperee. Keep working hard. Keep screwing things up. Pretty soon the (current) mistakes will all be just a happy memory.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Sat Feb 09, 2008 at 04:21pm.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Sheesh.

Word.
Wait, THIS 9-9-3?

Art. 3... A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.

As Emily Littela used to say, "Never mind."
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sheesh.

Word.
A similar question was on the test this year. Argued with a senior official on the drive over to the meeting about control having to be established. Wouldn't believe me even when I showed him the book.

Rita
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
A similar question was on the test this year. Argued with a senior official on the drive over to the meeting about control having to be established. Wouldn't believe me even when I showed him the book.

Rita
I'm hangin' with the senior refs.

just like when Tiger woods hits one into the Gorse.
Always turn to my son and say "son, you and I play like Tiger Woods!"
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 08:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C

Rita
It's legal if control isn't established until after the player lands also.

Senior doesn't automatically equate to knowledgeable, Rita. He would be a lot smarter if he listened and learned, no matter where the learning was coming from.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 12:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Oops ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
As Emily Littela used to say, "Never mind."
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's legal if control isn't established until after the player lands also.

Senior doesn't automatically equate to knowledgeable, Rita. He would be a lot smarter if he listened and learned, no matter where the learning was coming from.
He got it wrong on the test. I didn't. Two years now I've scored better than him on the test.

Now if I could only do better on the floor.

Rita