The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   count the basket? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41716-count-basket.html)

yankeesfan Fri Feb 08, 2008 01:33pm

count the basket?

this really happened. with .08 of second left, there was an inbounds pass from around half court that deflected off a players hand and then hit another player in the head and went in the basket just after the horn sounds. does the basket count? it was amazing how this happened.

stosh Fri Feb 08, 2008 01:35pm

no basket. it was not a try or tap for a goal so once the horn sounds play is dead.

yankeesfan Fri Feb 08, 2008 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stosh
no basket. it was not a try or tap for a goal so once the horn sounds play is dead.

what if the ball went in the hoop before the horn sounds?

Adam Fri Feb 08, 2008 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan
what if the ball went in the hoop before the horn sounds?

2 pts.

stosh Fri Feb 08, 2008 01:41pm

two points regardless of where the "head" was on the court (no three point "head-in")

JugglingReferee Fri Feb 08, 2008 01:41pm

8 one-hundredths of a second?

Since the act was not a try for goal, the basket does not count.

Edit: ball in before the horn = 2 points, regardless of where the touches were from, as it was not a try for goal.

IUgrad92 Fri Feb 08, 2008 01:45pm

With .08 seconds left, the period would be over after the hand deflection. The rest of what happened is irrelevant.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Feb 08, 2008 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUgrad92
With .08 seconds left, the period would be over after the hand deflection. The rest of what happened is irrelevant.

IUgard92:

On what basis do you make this statement?

MTD, Sr.

Kelvin green Fri Feb 08, 2008 02:16pm

I am with MTD on this one (he beat me to the punch)
with .8 you can catch and shoot.... check the rules out again .3 or less must be a tap, anything more than that can be most anything

jdw3018 Fri Feb 08, 2008 02:24pm

The difference is .08 vs. .8. I'd guess the OP meant .8, but maybe not...

crazy voyager Fri Feb 08, 2008 02:27pm

Goal does not count
The only time the ball doesn't become dead after a scorer's signal for the end of a period is if a shot for a field goal is in the air. This is just a ball wich went astray, not an attempt

yankeesfan Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
The difference is .08 vs. .8. I'd guess the OP meant .8, but maybe not...

i have to clarify the time on the clock, it was .8 not .08. in other words there was 8 tenths of a second. i am very sorry, does that change anything at all? basket is still no good, correct?

blindzebra Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:23pm

If the ball passes through the basket before the horn sounds it counts as two...if the horn goes before the ball goes through no score.