The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

End of Regulation Sitch

B JV, 2-man crew, 1.9 seconds on the clock in the 4th, game is tied. Ball coming into play on backcourt endline (after a make had tied the game for the home team). I am the trail. Team B throws the ball full length of the court and catches in the right corner near the baseline, and behind the 3 point line. Due to the excitement of the game, you can barely hear in the gym. B1 rises to shoot and is fouled. I have the call as my partner is lead on the left side of the court. Our problem: as trail I also have clock responsibility but I can't see the clock as it is to my left and I am watching the shot in the right corner. The home coach is beside himself as he says the foul happened after time had expired. I consult with my partner and he says he was not watching the clock either. We put B2 at the line for 3 FTs. The kid, at the line with an empty lane, misses the first two and rolls the last one in, game over.

Any thoughts?

BTW, I was also on the varsity crew. Fans let me hear it when I came back out for the game.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Did you ask the table? You can check with them in a situation like this, and use their input. They are, after all, a part of your crew.

(Used with permission.)
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

No

No we didn't check with the table. After reading your post the first thing that popped into my head was: what if we had asked the table...what risk would we be running of them just homering the call? I know we can't surmise that is what they would do, but, in such a hotly contested game, don't you think they would at least be tempted to homer the call?

Are you saying that would have been your next step, to confer with the table?
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 11:58am
Lighten up, Francis.

Very difficult situation. I think this is one of the few times that you can ask for help from the table. Make sure the coaches stay away! Ask the official timer if the whistle sounded before the horn. If he/she has definite knowledge, then I think you can use that information. It will help if everyone at the table agrees (either yes or no).
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Yes tuff situation. I'm curious though. Was the L behind the baseline and not in position to make this call?
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Unless you have a specific reason for thinking the table will "homer" the call, to suspect they will is completely unfair. They should understand their responsible to act professionally just as you do and to do the right thing, no matter the outcome.

If they've done something previously to warrant this suspicion, then that's one thing, but to automatically assume they'll homer it is unfair to them.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrck
Yes tuff situation. I'm curious though. Was the L behind the baseline and not in position to make this call?
He was on the opposite side of the court. This play was deep in the right corner, he was baseline left side (as you face the basket).
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

One main rule here. (Reference from the 2007 book.)

2-13: If the timer's signal . . . is not heard, the timer shall . . . notify the referee. If in the meantime, a goal has been made or a foul has occurred, the referee shall consult the timer.

Go to the table and ask whether the whistle was before or after the horn. Then hope that they get it right!