The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

In a D3 girls game, a coach got upset with one of my partners. My partner gave him a warning and informed myself and the 3rd official that he had warned him. About 2 or 3 times down the court, I end up at T right in front of his bench. Before he even started in on me, I told him to keep in mind that he was already given a warning. He kept placing me as the "good guy" on the crew, saying I was the only one with a good sense of the game...etc. He never was never said anything T worthy, but I hate the fact that a coach is putting one of us above the others. We are a crew, and we work as a crew. Can some of you "veterans" tell me a proper way of handling this? Any little advise is appreciative!
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by Zebra1
In a D3 girls game, a coach got upset with one of my partners. My partner gave him a warning and informed myself and the 3rd official that he had warned him. About 2 or 3 times down the court, I end up at T right in front of his bench. Before he even started in on me, I told him to keep in mind that he was already given a warning. He kept placing me as the "good guy" on the crew, saying I was the only one with a good sense of the game...etc. He never was never said anything T worthy, but I hate the fact that a coach is putting one of us above the others. We are a crew, and we work as a crew. Can some of you "veterans" tell me a proper way of handling this? Any little advise is appreciative!
Believe it or not, he was probably telling the other 2 officials the same thing when they were in front of him. Let it go in one ear and out the other. If he needs a reply, tell him that he has a good crew tonight and that he is getting a well called game (assuming, of course, that this is a true statement ) and let it go at that. If he badmouths your partners, let him know that this is not appropriate, and then give him a chance to correct his behavior.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 11:49am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebra1

"Coach, I'm not the one you should be talking to about that."
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

bigwhistle is ritht on this point. In one ear and out the other. I have a coach in one of the conferences i work who tells each one of us how we got to help out our partner.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2002, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

MOST of these type of coaches are lunatics and as the above have mentioned, they're playing with you, trying to buy a call from you. You know who your buddies are, take care of each other, no matter the situation.