The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Coach has been whining the entire game.
Just curious, but why would you allow this? Why not nip it early? Makes for a much more enjoyable game.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 07:37pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80
When they are constantly complaining, they get tuned out.
Personally, I don't tune them out. I put a stop to their complaining.
I had an interesting experience last week in a college game. Home coach had been chirping and whining in the first half, but nothing egregious. Then at halftime, he was waiting outside our locker to "talk" to us on the way back up to the game. I said nothing and let my more experienced partner "handle" the coach.

Then early in the second half, he said something dumb and I replied, "Coach, I'm just not going to listen to that. That's enough." Smooth sailing for a while.

Six minutes left at the end of a time-out, he comes to me and says, "Hey, is handchecking legal now? They're doing it every possession. Can we do it, too?"

Not T-worthy in my book, so I decided to go with -- the "tune out". The rest of the conversation went like this:

"So it's legal, then? What, you're not going to answer me now? You're just going to ignore me? You can't even look at me?"

He didn't say another word to me all game, except to correctly point out blood on one of his players.

In this particular case, getting tuned out actually put a stop to the behavior. I have him again next Saturday, btw. Should be fun.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

I had a caoch say " Call it Both ways".

It was the first foul of the game.

Seriously. I just looked at him.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
I had a caoch say " Call it Both ways".

It was the first foul of the game.

Seriously. I just looked at him.
I just grant them their wish and make my calls backwards as well.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 09:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Soccer Anyone ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
I've called the kick on the offense before. The player INTENTIONALLY kicked it so the defense couldn't pick it up. Same situation.
I once had a player intentionally kick a loose ball on the floor ahead to a teammate in a breakaway situaiton. Offensive kicking violation. Turns out the kicker was a star soccer player.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
I meant that it was true that the coach said this. Not that the offense can't kick the ball, sorry for any misunderstanding.
Either way, you're right. The coach said that AND the offense cannot kick the ball (w/out a violation needing to be called).
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
Since he was 6'6" and the fact that he never complained, his standing up was like arrows being shot at the officials. Everyone in the gym knew there had been a bad call. He had great credibility because he never complained.
Who was the coach?