The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   This almost happened (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41641-almost-happened.html)

Mark Padgett Tue Feb 05, 2008 02:49pm

This almost happened

NF rules. A1 in back court throws ball toward front court. It hits an official who is standing in front court and rebounds back to A1 who grabs it while still in the back court. Is this a violation?

Remember the four elements needed for a back court violation:
1. There must be team control
2. The ball must have achieved front court status
3. The team in team control must be the last to touch the ball after it has achieved front court status
4. That same team must be first to touch the ball after it has reentered the back court

No doubt about 1 and 2. But does a single touch by A1 when he catches the rebounded ball in the back court satisfy both 3 and 4 at the same time? That is, can a single touch count for two elements simultaneously?

This almost happened in a game this weekend, but the ball caromed off the official into the back court and went OOB with A1 leaping for it.

chartrusepengui Tue Feb 05, 2008 02:57pm

why not?

Gimlet25id Tue Feb 05, 2008 03:04pm

T/C on the pass. Hits official in the F/C which established T/C F/C status of the ball. If A touches-violation.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 05, 2008 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
NF rules. A1 in back court throws ball toward front court. It hits an official who is standing in front court and rebounds back to A1 who grabs it while still in the back court. Is this a violation?

Remember the four elements needed for a back court violation:
1. There must be team control
2. The ball must have achieved front court status
3. The team in team control must be the last to touch the ball after it has achieved front court status
4. That same team must be first to touch the ball after it has reentered the back court

No doubt about 1 and 2. But does a single touch by A1 when he catches the rebounded ball in the back court satisfy both 3 and 4 at the same time? That is, can a single touch count for two elements simultaneously?

This almost happened in a game this weekend, but the ball caromed off the official into the back court and went OOB with A1 leaping for it.

Items three is wrong, and should be:

3. Team A last to touch before the ball goes to BC

There's a specific case play just like yours in which it's a violation.

crazy voyager Tue Feb 05, 2008 03:37pm

It is under fiba rules

YooperRef Tue Feb 05, 2008 03:56pm

What if ??

SO the OP is a violation. What if the official has one foot in the F/C and one in the B/C? Off the top of my head I'm thinking no violation is this case.

M&M Guy Tue Feb 05, 2008 04:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by YooperRef
SO the OP is a violation. What if the official has one foot in the F/C and one in the B/C? Off the top of my head I'm thinking no violation is this case.

What is the status of an official with one foot in the front court, and one in the back court?

What is the status of player standing exactly the same way?

YooperRef Tue Feb 05, 2008 04:21pm

Both player and official would have B/C status so no violation.

M&M Guy Tue Feb 05, 2008 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by YooperRef
Both player and official would have B/C status so no violation.

Off the top of my head, you would be correct.

This is where I offer you the picture of the cookie, and say, "Good job!". But I was hungry this afternoon and already ate the cookie. Sorry.

YooperRef Tue Feb 05, 2008 04:29pm

Obviously an M&M cookie.

M&M Guy Tue Feb 05, 2008 04:31pm

Obviously. :D

inigo montoya Tue Feb 05, 2008 04:42pm

Is there rule support for treating the official's location on the court (that is, backcourt vs. frontcourt) the same as a player's?

M&M Guy Tue Feb 05, 2008 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by inigo montoya
Is there rule support for treating the official's location on the court (that is, backcourt vs. frontcourt) the same as a player's?

I've used 4-35-1(b) and 4-35-2: The location of a player <font color=red>or nonplayer</font color> is determined by where the player is touching the floor as far as being in the frontcourt or backcourt.

crazy voyager Wed Feb 06, 2008 09:01am

What if a player with one feet in the front and one in the bc passes to a player standing the same way (test question)?
What if it's a throw in with the player doing the throw-in standing one fott in Back one in Front- court and he passes to a player standing the same way(answer here is diffrent in NCAA compared to FIBA due to team control definition)?

SmokeEater Wed Feb 06, 2008 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy voyager
What if a player with one feet in the front and one in the bc passes to a player standing the same way (test question)?
What if it's a throw in with the player doing the throw-in standing one fott in Back one in Front- court and he passes to a player standing the same way(answer here is diffrent in NCAA compared to FIBA due to team control definition)?

For FIBA this would depend on the players next movement. Lift the frontcourt foot and we have a violation, lift the backcourt foot and proceed into frontcourt then play on.