The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   T or no T (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41415-t-no-t.html)

secondregionbug Sun Jan 27, 2008 06:34pm

T or no T

Team A is 30 behind with 3:00 to go in game and asks for a 30 second time out. After the TO they have water on the floor. I tell them to clean it up and give them a delay of game warning. the coach comes to me and tells me there are no towels available and then two of his players take their shirts off and start cleaning up the water with their shirts......................T or not???????????

Bad Zebra Sun Jan 27, 2008 06:37pm

Please tell me this is a rec game. What kind of HS or MS team would have their players remove jerseys to mop the floor?

just another ref Sun Jan 27, 2008 06:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondregionbug
Team A is 30 behind with 3:00 to go in game and asks for a 30 second time out. After the TO they have water on the floor. I tell them to clean it up and give them a delay of game warning. the coach comes to me and tells me there are no towels available and then two of his players take their shirts off and start cleaning up the water with their shirts......................T or not???????????

Either way, you gotta give 'em an A for effort.

Mark Padgett Sun Jan 27, 2008 06:49pm

Was this a boys game? :D

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 27, 2008 06:50pm

Quote:

After the TO they have water on the floor. I tell them to clean it up and give them a delay of game warning.

Just give them the "delay of game" warning. A "T" is reserved for further delays. If you give them a "T now, you're punishing them twice for the same act.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 27, 2008 06:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Was this a boys game? :D

You naughty boy. Are you off your meds again.

MTD, Sr.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 27, 2008 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Just give them the "delay of game" warning. A "T" is reserved for further delays. If you give them a "T now, you're punishing them twice for the same act.

So you're saying ignore the two players taking their shirts off? :confused:

Jurassic Referee Sun Jan 27, 2008 08:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
So you're saying ignore the two players taking their shirts off? :confused:

Geeze, to be honest I never even thought of that.

Silly monkeys.

I guess I'd try to get to 'em before they took their shirts off.

truerookie Sun Jan 27, 2008 08:21pm

In this situation, they can remove their shoes and use their socks to wipe the floor. :p

BktBallRef Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Geeze, to be honest I never even thought of that.

Silly monkeys.

I guess I'd try to get to 'em before they took their shirts off.

LOL! That was the only thing I could figure...that you just completely missed that part. :D

secondregionbug Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:22pm

Yes it was a boys varsity game. Would you give the T for the shirts?????

ca_rumperee Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:23pm

One of the first lessons I learned as coach...

Quote:

... is ALWAYS have a big beach towel in the bag!

When I get a spill during rec games I suggest we grab a couple of small children from the stands and drag them around the floor.

Bad Zebra Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:29pm

I'm with JR. Try to catch them before they take 'em off...gotta be paper towels in the locker room or something...I'd admire their zeal to comply but mopping the floor with one's uniform jerseys would look pretty...I don't know...disrespectful(?) to the school and team they represent. In the end, I don't think I could whack them for that. I don't think that was the intent of the rule.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:30pm

The intent the rule forbidding a player from removing his jersey was to prevent basketball players copying soccer players and their stupid habit of removing their jerseys to protest the officiating or celebrating a score. Instead the Rules Committee, said that if A1 had to use A15's jersey because maybe A1's jersey became torn, A1 and A15 and to go to locker room to make the switch and if they made the exchange at courtside, it was a TF for each player who removed his shirt. Once again the brainless twits were writing the rules and casebook plays.

MTD, Sr.

Daryl H. Long Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
The intent the rule forbidding a player from removing his jersey was to prevent basketball players copying soccer players and their stupid habit of removing their jerseys to protest the officiating or celebrating a score. Instead the Rules Committee, said that if A1 had to use A15's jersey because maybe A1's jersey became torn, A1 and A15 and to go to locker room to make the switch and if they made the exchange at courtside, it was a TF for each player who removed his shirt. Once again the brainless twits were writing the rules and casebook plays.

MTD, Sr.

No, they were not brainless twits. The need for the rule arose rather quickly and before it got out of hand the rules committee addressed it.

The unfortunate thing is the penalty is applied uniformly across the board. That took away our discretion as officials to decide whether a player committed an unsporstmanlike act or not.

By rule, the 2 players should each be assessed a T.

But to be honest, I can not say I would do it. There is clearly nothing so egregious that what they did should receive the same penalty as the player who does so in anger. Prevent it from happening.