The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 02:21pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
No high heartbeat rates, no sweats during that ride to the game, right?
Might of had a few at the beginning of the ride. Just I just tried to relax and enjoy the ride. Didn't try to think about it too much other than it was just another varsity girl's game on a Monday. Worked pretty good.

Good luck...it was 75 down south yesterday...what kind of weather are you all getting up there? Either way, it sounds like the white stuff and you can keep it all up there!
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I was supposed to work tonight but last night's games got postponed to tonight, so I won't be working. .
So you're free to go watch Tanner, and report back, right?
Old Tue Feb 05, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
So you're free to go watch Tanner, and report back, right?
Hmm...if you think he was nervous last night, just think what he would feel if he knew there was a reporter there with nation-wide exposure ready to chronicle his every call.

(Yea, I'm thinkin' about it. )

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 04:42pm
M.A.S.H.

Game 2

Game 2 was a lot of fun. We had a 15 point differential at halftime. The trailing team came back, sent it into OT, and ended up winning - wild game.

Anyways, we all walked off the floor feeling great. During post game we felt like we took care of business and gave it our best. Certainly a great way to close out my post season.

Bad news was our game was the late game (starting at 8pm). Probably didn't start until 8:30 due to the pre-game stuff (i.e. 3-point contest). We hit the locker room around 10:10. We had to wait until one of the teams left the locker room so we could use the shower. Left the gym about 10:30 and I didn't get back down here until 12:30. I was dead tired, but it was all worth it.

We had a banger play during the 3rd quarter which required us to get together an iron out the details. I was T administering a throw-in. Long pass across court and just as the girl caught it I had a bad screen. Got together with the C to make sure the girl had control. The C informed me that she just had control when he heard my whistle. Brief conversation and we had a team control foul. We made sure the AP was switched for the next throw-in and we went on.

The other situation we had was (I think) early in the 4th quarter. We are getting ready to shoot two free throws for white. I was administering the throws. I notice B4 has blood on her leg. I direct her to leave the game. We ask the coach if he wants to keep in her by using a time-out. He says no - fine. We shoot the 1st free throw. Coach B then calls a time-out. Before the warning horn, B4 was back at the table to check in. The Trail called me over and we talked. We ruled she couldn't come back in until the clock had ran.

Odd and Ends:
*During the first game, the power went out for about 3 seconds. It was right after a foul had been called. This was something we discussed in our pre-game if it happened to us.

*There were many games in the area which they had to take cover. I got reports of all kinds of sirens going off in the area.

*On my trip down to Carbondale (about 2 hours on Interstate 57-South) I counted 7 semis rolled over in the median.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
*There were many games in the area which they had to take cover. I got reports of all kinds of sirens going off in the area.

*On my trip down to Carbondale (about 2 hours on Interstate 57-South) I counted 7 semis rolled over in the median.
So where you were working was near or IN??? that storm we were hearing about??

btw good job on the game!
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Game 2 was a lot of fun. We had a 15 point differential at halftime. The trailing team came back, sent it into OT, and ended up winning - wild game.

Anyways, we all walked off the floor feeling great. During post game we felt like we took care of business and gave it our best. Certainly a great way to close out my post season.

Bad news was our game was the late game (starting at 8pm). Probably didn't start until 8:30 due to the pre-game stuff (i.e. 3-point contest). We hit the locker room around 10:10. We had to wait until one of the teams left the locker room so we could use the shower. Left the gym about 10:30 and I didn't get back down here until 12:30. I was dead tired, but it was all worth it.

We had a banger play during the 3rd quarter which required us to get together an iron out the details. I was T administering a throw-in. Long pass across court and just as the girl caught it I had a bad screen. Got together with the C to make sure the girl had control. The C informed me that she just had control when he heard my whistle. Brief conversation and we had a team control foul. We made sure the AP was switched for the next throw-in and we went on.

The other situation we had was (I think) early in the 4th quarter. We are getting ready to shoot two free throws for white. I was administering the throws. I notice B4 has blood on her leg. I direct her to leave the game. We ask the coach if he wants to keep in her by using a time-out. He says no - fine. We shoot the 1st free throw. Coach B then calls a time-out. Before the warning horn, B4 was back at the table to check in. The Trail called me over and we talked. We ruled she couldn't come back in until the clock had ran.

Odd and Ends:
*During the first game, the power went out for about 3 seconds. It was right after a foul had been called. This was something we discussed in our pre-game if it happened to us.

Well done!
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 06:25pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
So where you were working was near or IN??? that storm we were hearing about??

btw good job on the game!
Juulie,

Yes, Robinson in basically right on the Wabash river on the IL/IN border. I was in Dieterich which is about 40 miles west of Robinson.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

M&M:
How was the St. Anne experience(games, partners, game management,etc.)? I worked my semi at Cissna Park and was replaced for the championship game because one of the finalists is one of my affiliated schools. At St. Anne my other affiliated school would have been in both games I was scheduled to officiate.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffett
M&M:
How was the St. Anne experience(games, partners, game management,etc.)? I worked my semi at Cissna Park and was replaced for the championship game because one of the finalists is one of my affiliated schools. At St. Anne my other affiliated school would have been in both games I was scheduled to officiate.
It went fine; no major problems. Gardner ended up pulling away in the 4th qtr. last night over Donovan, after being close all game. Gardner fans had a tendancy to be a little mouthy, but game management took care of that rather quickly.

The only glitch was after we had a held ball in the 4th qtr., and gave it to Gardner, as per the arrow. As she's dribbling down the court, the Donovan scorekeeper starts yelling that it should be their ball. Of course, their coach starts questioning it as well, so my partner, who's in front of the table, stops play at a good point, and checks with the table. Official scorekeeper (from host school) has white getting the ball to start the quarter, and no other held balls up to that point. The Donovan scorekeeper insists we missed one, so we ask if he had written down the time of the held ball during the 4th quarter. Of course he hadn't, while the official book had written in all times of previous held balls. He calmed down a little after we also reminded him of a play where two players were tied up, I started coming in with the held ball, and my partner came in harder and had a foul first. I believe he thought that was the last held ball.

Host school management was great, hospitality room was good, and there was a pretty good crowd from both schools. All in all, a pretty good night.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 05:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
It went fine; no major problems. Gardner ended up pulling away in the 4th qtr. last night over Donovan, after being close all game. Gardner fans had a tendancy to be a little mouthy, but game management took care of that rather quickly.

The only glitch was after we had a held ball in the 4th qtr., and gave it to Gardner, as per the arrow. As she's dribbling down the court, the Donovan scorekeeper starts yelling that it should be their ball. Of course, their coach starts questioning it as well, so my partner, who's in front of the table, stops play at a good point, and checks with the table. Official scorekeeper (from host school) has white getting the ball to start the quarter, and no other held balls up to that point. The Donovan scorekeeper insists we missed one, so we ask if he had written down the time of the held ball during the 4th quarter. Of course he hadn't, while the official book had written in all times of previous held balls. He calmed down a little after we also reminded him of a play where two players were tied up, I started coming in with the held ball, and my partner came in harder and had a foul first. I believe he thought that was the last held ball.

Host school management was great, hospitality room was good, and there was a pretty good crowd from both schools. All in all, a pretty good night.
I didn't think you could do that !
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I didn't think you could do that !
In most cases we would've addressed it at the next dead ball. But, it wasn't the coach or the bench causing the ruckus, it was the team's scorekeeper. It was becoming enough of a distraction to the table and us that it needed to be handled. My partner found a spot when the other team was not advancing the ball, blew it dead, pointed to the spot where it would be taken out, and called me over so we could both take care of this at the table. Part of the issue was the "official table" was not big enough to hold everyone (official book, clock and scoreboard operator, home and visitor's books), so this guy was sitting one row back and over a little at another small table. I guess he thought he was trying to help his team out with a correction, and because of the slight distance he was becoming a little louder than necessary.

We talked about that afterwards, and agreed if this was the coach or someone on the bench asking, this would have cost the team a TO after we got to the next dead ball. But, because of the distraction, we took care of it immediately without directly affecting play.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 09:04pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
In most cases we would've addressed it at the next dead ball. But, it wasn't the coach or the bench causing the ruckus, it was the team's scorekeeper. It was becoming enough of a distraction to the table and us that it needed to be handled. My partner found a spot when the other team was not advancing the ball, blew it dead, pointed to the spot where it would be taken out, and called me over so we could both take care of this at the table. Part of the issue was the "official table" was not big enough to hold everyone (official book, clock and scoreboard operator, home and visitor's books), so this guy was sitting one row back and over a little at another small table. I guess he thought he was trying to help his team out with a correction, and because of the slight distance he was becoming a little louder than necessary.

We talked about that afterwards, and agreed if this was the coach or someone on the bench asking, this would have cost the team a TO after we got to the next dead ball. But, because of the distraction, we took care of it immediately without directly affecting play.
But, regardless, after the throw-in, we cannot undo it can we?
Run by and tell Scorekeeper, :"Quiet. Next dead ball...."
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But, regardless, after the throw-in, we cannot undo it can we?
Oh, ok, that's what you meant; I thought you were saying we couldn't stop play to check.

Yes, that was in the back of my mind as we were going over to the table to check. I just wanted to collect all the facts first before coming to any conclusions, and it turned out the official book was correct after all.
Quote:
Run by and tell Scorekeeper, :"Quiet. Next dead ball...."
He was pretty insistent, and was becoming a distraction, so we had to address it right then.

(Used with permission.)