The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Would basket count? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41354-would-basket-count.html)

dknick78 Fri Jan 25, 2008 03:36pm

Would basket count?

Last night MS game. Desparation attempt at end of quarter. The ball hits floor and then bounces up and almost go's in. Would the basket have count if it went in (while there was time still on clock)?

:confused: At first I said no the try would end when it hit the floor. But, I read in the 06-07 Rules by Topic NFHS book page 32 that "The tap or the try for a field goal by A1 ends when the ball touches the floor but a field goal is sometimes scored when it is not a result of a tap or try. In the case cited, credit two point for A. However, a try or tap by A1 towards A's basket does not become dead unitl the try or tap ends, which it does when it touches the floor (4-41-2, 4, 5)

Then what determines the "sometimes scored" portion of this ruling. It does make sense. The tap or try ends when the ball touches the floor. Right?

tjones1 Fri Jan 25, 2008 03:40pm

If the horn hadn't sounded the basket would have counted for two points since the ball entered the bucket. However, the try ended when it hit the floor. Thus, if the ball hits the floor, bounces up and before going in the horn sounds...you've got no dice.

So, yeah...right. :)

dknick78 Fri Jan 25, 2008 03:44pm

So you are saying if the clock had not run out score it. If it had run out don't score it?

JugglingReferee Fri Jan 25, 2008 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
If the horn hadn't sounded the basket would have counted for two points since the ball entered the bucket. However, the try ended when it hit the floor. Thus, if the ball hits the floor, bounces up and before going in the horn sounds...you've got no dice.

So, yeah...right. :)

Agreed.

tjones1 Fri Jan 25, 2008 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dknick78
So you are saying if the clock had not run out score it. If it had run out don't score it?

Ummm, yep - score two points.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 25, 2008 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dknick78

Rule 5-1-1

Case 5.1.1

lukealex Fri Jan 25, 2008 05:00pm

On the off chance this ball bounces outside the 3 point arc and goes in (hey it could happen) would it be 3 points?

bob jenkins Fri Jan 25, 2008 05:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukealex
On the off chance this ball bounces outside the 3 point arc and goes in (hey it could happen) would it be 3 points?

I already cited 5-1-1.

I would have thought someone might take it upon himself / herself to keep reading through 5-2-1

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 25, 2008 05:12pm

Quote:

No. Rule 5-2-1.

lukealex Fri Jan 25, 2008 05:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I already cited 5-1-1.

I would have thought someone might take it upon himself / herself to keep reading through 5-2-1

Don't have the books with me. Sorry

BillyMac Sat Jan 26, 2008 06:42pm

No Try At Horn

Weird play today in a boys varsity game. Near the end of the first half (Connecticut prep school rules, 16 minute halves), A1 is driving to the hoop, through a crowd of teammates, and opponents, and loses control of the ball, which pops out of his hands, up into the air. Horn to end the half sounds, and the ball ends up near the basket. In this case the ball missed going in, but at halftime, my partner, and I , talked about what would have happened if the ball went in. No legal try. No points scored. If the ball had gone in, this would have been very difficult to explain to the coach of team A.

ca_rumperee Sat Jan 26, 2008 08:58pm

In this situation the Washington Nationals would be playing.

Quote:

and Meadowlark would be bouncing the ball into the hoop.:rolleyes:

BillyMac Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:36am

Nationals ???????

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
and Meadowlark would be bouncing the ball into the hoop

Meadowlark played against the Washington GENERALS, led by player-coach "Red" Klotz:

http://harlemglobetrotters.com.ismme...ed%20Klotz.jpg