The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Messin with Reffin

Last night BV game, last 4 minutes of the game, visiting team is down by 8, home team is shooting two free throws, I'm center. I'm mainly watching the shooter's foot as he's shooting his free throws. Well here's the rub, B2 walks between the free throw shooter and me so that I can't see the shooter, I move a couple of steps to regain my view of the shooter so B2 moves again and blocks my view. He did this on both free throws and it was definitley done on purpose. He stayed behind the 3 point line the whole time. Should I have told him to get the H!ll out of the way, whacked him or just ignore. I never let it show that it wrinkled my skin, but it did irritate me!
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

If you're certain he's doing it on purpose, I'd have a word with him and let him know it was inappropriate and that he was free to stand where he wanted as long as he didn't violate but continually moving in front of you to block your view would be viewed as unsportsmanlike.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 11:44am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle
Last night BV game, last 4 minutes of the game, visiting team is down by 8, home team is shooting two free throws, I'm center. I'm mainly watching the shooter's foot as he's shooting his free throws. Well here's the rub, B2 walks between the free throw shooter and me so that I can't see the shooter, I move a couple of steps to regain my view of the shooter so B2 moves again and blocks my view. He did this on both free throws and it was definitley done on purpose. He stayed behind the 3 point line the whole time. Should I have told him to get the H!ll out of the way, whacked him or just ignore. I never let it show that it wrinkled my skin, but it did irritate me!
Interesting. I would just move again. And talk to him as well.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle
Since this is 3-man and you are the C, all you have to do is take one small step below the FT line extended. Then if the teammate gets in your way he will violate the FT restrictions. You can see the FT line from six inches below it.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

After the second time you moved and he adjusted in front of you again, I would ask the player to move back. My co-official requested a player do that last night without issue, in a similar situation. We are really talking inches and it should not have an affect on the players ability to cover his assignment, imo.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Since this is 3-man and you are the C, all you have to do is take one small step below the FT line extended. Then if the teammate gets in your way he will violate the FT restrictions. You can see the FT line from six inches below it.

As much as this pains me to say -- I would have done this as well.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
As much as this pains me to say -- I would have done this as well.

PS I'm only hard on you when you state that you will act inappropriately on the court.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree. It works fine for the Trail in two man as well.....
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with this as long as T knows what and why so that T can help cover C's opposite 3 lane spaces that C won't be able to cover from below the FT line.

If this was such a problem that requires C to move from their normal location then I would be inclined to keep an angle above the FT line but walk closer to the 3 point line that would prevent the player from walking in front of me without breaking the 3 point line. This way C can still cover thrower & opposite 3 lane spaces.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
I agree. It works fine for the Trail in two man as well.....
Be careful of the mechanics in your area. The instruction I've been given is to never start below the foul line extended: the provincial interp made it clear that the T is to start above the FLE, close down during the flight of the ball, and ready to transition to L if need be.

I do recognize that an official sometimes has to think outside of the box, though.

What's funny to me is that in my career, I don't ever recall not being able to see the FTL and the shooter's toes. That OP-player must have really been annoying.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 01:44pm
Esteemed Participant

Why not just step forward and move in front of the kid? Then when he moves, move in front of him again. See who wins that little dance.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Be careful of the mechanics in your area. The instruction I've been given is to never start below the foul line extended: the provincial interp made it clear that the T is to start above the FLE, close down during the flight of the ball, and ready to transition to L if need be.

I do recognize that an official sometimes has to think outside of the box, though.

What's funny to me is that in my career, I don't ever recall not being able to see the FTL and the shooter's toes. That OP-player must have really been annoying.
Thanks for the ideas! I'll move closer to the three point line.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

uh oh

Quote:
I must be wrong, but I had always thought that the players not occupying lane spaces were to remain behind the tip of the three point line extended. Thoughts?
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
I must be wrong, but I had always thought that the players not occupying lane spaces were to remain behind the tip of the three point line extended. Thoughts?
No, outside the three point line and above the free throw line, extended.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

Normally yes, but if a kid wants to crowd the FT line I'll take the one step down to (not past) the FT line extended and just eliminate the close down step - net result is the same.

I haven't seen this a lot, but did have it once this year - kid got just a little too far & I called the violation.