The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 05, 2000, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

I had this situation come up in a game last week. Team A was inbounding the ball at half court with no pressure. A1 wis inbounding to A2. A2 was standing in the frontcourt very near the backcourt line. A1 tossed the ball to A2. A2 did not catch the ball. A2 batted the ball to the floor in the backcourt. I did not call a back court violation. A's coach of course thought it was a good no call on the grounds that it all three points must be in front court location. However, B's coach stated that as soon as A2 touched the ball it was in front court location since A2 was standing in the front court and did not have a prior dribble in the backcourt. Did I make the correct call? I have asked several officials and recieved different interpretations.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2000, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

There was no violation because "team control" had yet to be established by Team A. To establish team control, A2 needed to either hold or dribble the ball in-bounds.

FYI, the ball did have frontcourt location when touched by A2 in the frontcourt. (4-4-2)
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Just to add another vote for the correct ruling, there was no violation in either situation. No such thing as "team control" on a throw in. Also, to tack on to the throw-in situation at half-court where A2 leaps from frontcourt to backcourt, not only is there NO violation, but had he leaped in the air, received the ball, then landed with one foot first in frontcourt and then the other in the backcourt, there would STILL be no violation. The exceptions that Rusty mentioned (plus a 3rd--stealing the ball in the air) all permit a "normal landing" in those situations, even if it seems the player landed first in the frontcourt and then stepped into his backcourt.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

I think I'll have to disagree here. When inbounding the ball, doesn't the team have "team control" but no player has player control.

You can throw the ball into the backcourt and a player can go get it. But the player must have established back court position before touching the ball.

I don't have my rule or case book with me but I am pretty sure I've seen this in there.

Another similar play I had last night where team A inbounded the ball from half court. A-2 was in the air with their last established position in the front court. Player A-2 catches the ball and lands in the back court. I called a back court here.

I discussed it with my partner after the game and we both agreed it was the correct call. It was late in the game with the outcome already determined, but I hope I didn't blow that call...
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by SCBroncos on 02-09-2000 11:00 AM
I think I'll have to disagree here. When inbounding the ball, doesn't the team have "team control" but no player has player control.

You can throw the ball into the backcourt and a player can go get it. But the player must have established back court position before touching the ball.

Another similar play I had last night where team A inbounded the ball from half court. A-2 was in the air with their last established position in the front court. Player A-2 catches the ball and lands in the back court. I called a back court here.

I believe SCBroncos is incorrect on both accounts and made a mistake in the "back court call" he had in his game.

Several rules come into play here:

4-12-6 (in defining "Control") "Neither team control nor player control exists duriing a dead ball, THROW IN, jump ball, or while the ball is in flight during a try or tap for a goal." (This is also Basketball Rules Fundamental #2!)

An inbounding team does NOT have "team control" until one of its players gains control of the live ball inbounds.

9-9 (description of the "Backcourt" violation) says that for a backcourt violation to occur there has to have been team control in the front court prior to the ball going to the backcourt and a player on the team having control in the front court must have been the last to touch the ball before the it went into the backcourt.

The rule specifically makes 2 exceptions, the first of which is the very play SCBroncos had in his game. Exception 1: "It is not a violation when after a jump ball or THROW IN, a player is first to secure control of the balll while both feet are off the floor and he/she then returns to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt." Case book 9.9B gives an example using a jumb ball of this situation.

Casebook 4.12.6 Play speaks directly to Wiggins original post. Ken was right on target with his explanation. Wiggins made the correct call.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Rusty is correct. NO violations.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 05:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

[quote]Originally posted by Rusty Gilbert on 02-09-2000 11:37 AM
9-9 (description of the "Backcourt" violation) says that for a backcourt violation to occur there has to have been team control in the front court prior to the ball going to the backcourt quote]

Don't use the term "team control in the frontcourt." It is confusing, and not part of the rule. "While in team control, the ball must achieve frontcourt status" is the correct way of putting it.

The concept of team control is not modified by frontcourt or backcourt. Team control is simply team control. Ball position can be in either frontcourt or backcourt, however.