View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 09, 2000, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by SCBroncos on 02-09-2000 11:00 AM
I think I'll have to disagree here. When inbounding the ball, doesn't the team have "team control" but no player has player control.

You can throw the ball into the backcourt and a player can go get it. But the player must have established back court position before touching the ball.

Another similar play I had last night where team A inbounded the ball from half court. A-2 was in the air with their last established position in the front court. Player A-2 catches the ball and lands in the back court. I called a back court here.

I believe SCBroncos is incorrect on both accounts and made a mistake in the "back court call" he had in his game.

Several rules come into play here:

4-12-6 (in defining "Control") "Neither team control nor player control exists duriing a dead ball, THROW IN, jump ball, or while the ball is in flight during a try or tap for a goal." (This is also Basketball Rules Fundamental #2!)

An inbounding team does NOT have "team control" until one of its players gains control of the live ball inbounds.

9-9 (description of the "Backcourt" violation) says that for a backcourt violation to occur there has to have been team control in the front court prior to the ball going to the backcourt and a player on the team having control in the front court must have been the last to touch the ball before the it went into the backcourt.

The rule specifically makes 2 exceptions, the first of which is the very play SCBroncos had in his game. Exception 1: "It is not a violation when after a jump ball or THROW IN, a player is first to secure control of the balll while both feet are off the floor and he/she then returns to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt." Case book 9.9B gives an example using a jumb ball of this situation.

Casebook 4.12.6 Play speaks directly to Wiggins original post. Ken was right on target with his explanation. Wiggins made the correct call.