The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:51pm
Administrator

The phrase "no call."

I have been reading a number of threads tonight and appalled at the number of times the phrase "no call" has been used. I remember Peter Webb telling me a number of years ago that there is no such thing as a "no call." Officials have to make hundreds of "yes, thats legal/no, thats not legal" decisions every game. Either the play is legal or the play is not legal. I agree with Peter.

Just my humble opinion and observation.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I have been reading a number of threads tonight and appalled at the number of times the phrase "no call" has been used. I remember Peter Webb telling me a number of years ago that there is no such thing as a "no call." Officials have to make hundreds of "yes, thats legal/no, thats not legal" decisions every game. Either the play is legal or the play is not legal. I agree with Peter.

MTD, Sr.
I thought "no call" generally referred to a situation that, at face value, looks like an easy foul call but because of the parameters, is doesn't warrant a whistle.

Like contact between driving A1 and B2, where no advantage is gained on either side. Or, A1 posts up on B2, A1 spins into B2 who flops to try and draw an PCF, but the official correctly ignores the flop. It doesn't warrant a call (foul), thus it's a "no-call."

I see nothing wrong with the phrase. It's just a saying.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
Actually if you reverse what you wrote it makes perfect sense...Yes that is illegal, no that isn't illegal...yes call, no call.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 11:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
If it bothers you, do not use the terminology. But to me anytime I use the term "no call" that means to me a situation where something could easily be called and is not called. It is not about the legality of the situation. For me when contact occurs or when a weird handling of the ball that could be called a foul or a violation, but for some reason is not called. In some cases it could even be something illegal that happens that was not properly called. It is just a term. I do not see the big deal. Almost every evaluator I have ever come in contact uses it at some point and it is a common term in officiating vernacular. I am not going to stop using it anytime soon and it is like any other kind of jargon if you ask me.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

A1 drives and there's contact by B1 that could be called a foul. But because it would negate A1's advantage, the foul is not called.

That's a good no call to me.

No problem with the term.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 11:37pm
Administrator

With all due respect gentlemen, you are all making my point. If you decide not to put air in the whistle, you are telling everyone that nothing illega has happened. One of the first things I learned as as basketball official is that you have nothing (meaning the play was legal) until you have something (meaning the play was illegal) and that you have something you put air in the whiistle.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Good night all. Have a good one tomorrow everybody, this old geezer needs to get his beauty sleep (about 3 or 4 centuries worth of beauty sleep).
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 11:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
With all due respect gentlemen, you are all making my point.
Which was?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
With all due respect gentlemen, you are all making my point. If you decide not to put air in the whistle, you are telling everyone that nothing illega has happened. One of the first things I learned as as basketball official is that you have nothing (meaning the play was legal) until you have something (meaning the play was illegal) and that you have something you put air in the whiistle.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Good night all. Have a good one tomorrow everybody, this old geezer needs to get his beauty sleep (about 3 or 4 centuries worth of beauty sleep).
Actually I don't think we are making your point at all, you are failing to grasp ours.

If as you say it's either a call or isn't, what better describes that happening?

It's either YES there is a CALL with a whistle or NO there is not a CALL and there is no whistle.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What if you put air in the whistle and the play was legal? What are you telling everyone then?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Which was?

My thoughts also............way too much semantics.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

It's a useful phrase that has significant shared meaning for discussing situations with other officials. I'll continue using it even if it's "incorrect" on some level.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

I was going to say "no comment," but then I realized that if you say "no comment," you've actually made a comment, so the point of saying "no comment" in the first place is lost by adding a comment even though you didn't really comment on anything in the first place.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 07:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho
I was going to say "no comment," but then I realized that if you say "no comment," you've actually made a comment, so the point of saying "no comment" in the first place is lost by adding a comment even though you didn't really comment on anything in the first place.
No comment....to this whole thread.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

using or not using the phrase "no call" is paramount to using or not using the hands spread signal to indicate not closely guarded.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
using or not using the phrase "no call" is paramount to using or not using the hands spread signal to indicate not closely guarded.

Or as Mark says 'I have nothing'