The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Charge and a block on the same play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41290-charge-block-same-play.html)

Coach Bill Wed Jan 23, 2008 01:45pm

Charge and a block on the same play

Last night's varsity game, the dribbler collided with his defender. One ref signaled block, and the other ref signaled charge. They got together and gave a foul to each of them, and went to the possession arrow. I assume they got it right? Never seen this before.

jdw3018 Wed Jan 23, 2008 01:47pm

That is correct under NFHS interpretations.

JRutledge Wed Jan 23, 2008 01:52pm

I am too lazy to type it out.

Casebook play 4.19.8 Situation C.

Peace

JoeTheRef Wed Jan 23, 2008 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill
Last night's varsity game, the dribbler collided with his defender. One ref signaled block, and the other ref signaled charge. They got together and gave a foul to each of them, and went to the possession arrow. I assume they got it right? Never seen this before.

They got it right a couple of years ago, but today we would go with the POI for all double fouls.

JoeTheRef Wed Jan 23, 2008 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
That is correct under NFHS interpretations.

You may want to rethink your answer or read the caseplay cited by JRut.

jdw3018 Wed Jan 23, 2008 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTheRef

You're absolutely right - I only responded to the part about going with a double foul - didn't read through the entire sitch.

JRutledge Wed Jan 23, 2008 02:13pm

The play I referenced had the ball go in the basket. The coach did not tell us if the ball went into the basket. It is still possible that there would be an AP arrow if the ball did not go through the basket. POI is when there is possession or team control. There is no team control on a shot. It just depends based on the information we have.

Peace

Scrapper1 Wed Jan 23, 2008 02:14pm

Quote:

Coach, some of the posters are dropping hints without telling you what is wrong with that ruling. Since both fouls are assessed, it's a double foul and play is resumed at the point of interruption. Since you use the term "dribbler" and not "shooter", we're assuming that no shot was involved. If the dribbler didn't release a shot, then the dribbler's team still had team control. In that case, the point of interruption is a throw-in for the team in control (the dribbler's team).

If the dribbler had released a try before the collision, then team control ended and the POI depends on whether the try is successful or not.

texaspaul Wed Jan 23, 2008 09:52pm

I refer to this play as player control and a block. Not charging. Actually charging can be a defender.

26 Year Gap Wed Jan 23, 2008 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaspaul
I refer to this play as player control and a block. Not charging. Actually charging can be a defender.

Or my wife at the mall.:eek:

BktBallRef Wed Jan 23, 2008 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaspaul

It's not a player control foul.

A player control foul is a common foul.

Since this is a double foul, neither foul can be a common foul.

Therefore, it is not a player control foul.

Further, if the ball is shot before the foul and goes in, it counts.

BktBallRef Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTheRef

You might to re-think yours, Joe.

If the shot is released before either foul occurs and is no good, then you penalize both fouls and go to the AP arrow. SO the OP could very well have been enforced correctly.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:39pm

Quote:

AAAAGGGHHH!!! A BLARGE!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!

MTD, Sr.

JoeyCrawford Thu Jan 24, 2008 04:50am

Blarge...

Yuck!!!!

Hold Your Whistle:)

Scrapper1 Thu Jan 24, 2008 08:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyCrawford
Blarge...

Yuck!!!!

Hold Your Whistle:)

Nothing wrong with a double whistle. Hold your signal.