The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Where is your focus? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41254-where-your-focus.html)

JS 20 Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:46am

Where is your focus?

2 person crew. You're the Trail and a shot goes up from the Lead's PCA. Do you stay w/ the flight of the ball the whole time or do you watch for action back side, watch the ball as soon as it gets around the rim to make sure of no GT/BI and it doesn't hit any support and then go back to focusing on the back side rebounders? I'm curious as to how everyone handles this.

jdw3018 Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:48am

I'm watching backside rebounding activity and simply maintaining an awareness of the flight of the ball and anyone who may have the ability to play above the rim.

You can't focus solely on the flight of the ball every time there's a shot from L, or you'll miss all the fun. :D

bob jenkins Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:49am

Right eye on the ball, left eye on the players.

Reverse if on the other side of the court.

Scrapper1 Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:49am

My first responsibility is the flight of the ball. So I follow the ball to make sure it doesn't hit a support and to watch for basket interference or goaltending -- also to see if it actually goes in. I may have to signal a successful 3-point goal.

Once that stuff is done, then I'll switch to rebounding action on my side of the basket.

grunewar Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins

Marty Feldman would be so proud! :)

Junker Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:27am

My focus would be on trying to figure out why I'm working a 2-man game. :D

Nevadaref Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
My first responsibility is the flight of the ball. So I follow the ball to make sure it doesn't hit a support and to watch for basket interference or goaltending -- also to see if it actually goes in. I may have to signal a successful 3-point goal.

Once that stuff is done, then I'll switch to rebounding action on my side of the basket.

I would reverse that.

Scrapper1 Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I would reverse that.

The Lead is already watching the rebounding action. I want to be sure the ball doesn't hit something overhead. The Lead can handle rebounding for an extra second or two.

Dan_ref Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I would reverse that.

This must be a reply to Bob's post, because it makes no sense regarding what scrappy-doo wrote.

Coltdoggs Tue Jan 22, 2008 03:10pm

I'm looking at it all baby! :cool: :D

Actually, since I am trail, I have ball flight and I'm probably peeking at action on rebounding as well once I'm am certain we are not going to hit any support wires from up above.

Rufus Tue Jan 22, 2008 03:20pm

This actually came up during our pre-season scrimmages and our more senior folks advised us to not watch the ball (they called it being a fan instead of an official). I agree that you can't completely block out the path of the ball for the reasons already stated (e.g., hits a support wire, goes over the backboard, etc.), but we only work 2-man in sub-varsity here. The chance of there being an above-the-rim play or something funky happening with the ball/support is minimal so it's easier to concentrate on post play. I've taken this approach been able to effectively watch the post play so far this season.

Of course I'm working a 7th grade game tonight and will probably have something happen with the ball and a basket support. Thank goodness for pre-game meetings!

BillyMac Tue Jan 22, 2008 07:31pm

Seventh Graders Can't Jump

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus
Of course I'm working a 7th grade game tonight and will probably have something happen with the ball and a basket support.

Be sure to watch for goaltending and basketball interference, especially if it's a girls game.

Kelvin green Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
The Lead is already watching the rebounding action. I want to be sure the ball doesn't hit something overhead. The Lead can handle rebounding for an extra second or two.

Scrapper... going to have to diasagree

If the shot is from lead's corner, lead may stay with the shooter.
Lead normally referees strong-side rebounding
Trail has perimeter and weakside rebounding and has to be able to pick it up correctly. If trail is not refereeing this correctly you can get a lot of cheap and rough stuff.

You have to have the angles and position to see the shot and still focus on the rebounding... If I am going to make a mistake it is the one that grazes an upright

The GT/BI are actually pretty easy if you ref the defense.... The behind the backboard is obvious...

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins

:confused:

MTD,Sr.

BktBallRef Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
This must be a reply to Bob's post, because it makes no sense regarding what scrappy-doo wrote.

And that surprises you? :rolleyes: