The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Messy AP PLay

Boys JV held ball possession arrow to B in B's frontcourt sideline. For some reason A comes to take ball for throw-in and players set up as if it were in their front court. Official give ball to thrower A1 and completes throw in. A2 attempts try at B's basket and misses. Ball tapped out to A3 and he realizes they are shooting at wrong basket. Immedietely A3 turns and dribbles to his own basket and scores. Officials then realize the mistake and blow the thing dead to discuss. They decide to count basket give ball to B for endline throw-in with privledge of moving endline.
Other than giving the ball to the wrong team for throw-in originally was there anything that could have been done to correct the situation?
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Oh Crap!

There is one thing....

Get ill real quick and get out of the gym!

But seriously, this is something that needs to be picked up by your partner. Plus if you get in the habit of once you make the call, point the direction of the ball and call the color, you "should" get some help from the opposition.

Also, this is good pre-game fodder for you and your partner....
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFFICIAL
Boys JV held ball possession arrow to B in B's frontcourt sideline. For some reason A comes to take ball for throw-in and players set up as if it were in their front court. Official give ball to thrower A1 and completes throw in. A2 attempts try at B's basket and misses. Ball tapped out to A3 and he realizes they are shooting at wrong basket. Immedietely A3 turns and dribbles to his own basket and scores. Officials then realize the mistake and blow the thing dead to discuss. They decide to count basket give ball to B for endline throw-in with privledge of moving endline.
Other than giving the ball to the wrong team for throw-in originally was there anything that could have been done to correct the situation?
No, he didn't. You only think that he did.

How about a 10-second violation?
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 12:19pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I have:
  • a completed throw-in
  • A2 trying to help B instead of his own team
  • A3 dribbles from his backcourt to his frontcourt, and scores
  • the officials have ruled correctly
To answer the question, no. Nothing can be done except to say that what has happened (4 colours) is, by rule, not changed. Once the red step was completed, you cannot give the ball back to B.

Then tell B coach that he will 2 of the next 3 AP throw-ins.

Team B coach will be pissed, and rightfully so. My advice: don't slack in doing the things to avoid issuing a technical foul.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A2 attempts try at B's basket and misses.
Please correct me if I was told wrong but, I was informed that when a player throws the ball off of their opponent's backboard that it is considered part of a dribble, and therefore if A2 was dribbling toward B's basket, picks up the ball with both hands, and "shoots" (throws) the ball at B's backboard it would be considered a double dribble.

Is this correct? I'm sure if it isn't I will be corrected (dragged over the coals).
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiogima
Please correct me if I was told wrong but, I was informed that when a player throws the ball off of their opponent's backboard that it is considered part of a dribble, and therefore if A2 was dribbling toward B's basket, picks up the ball with both hands, and "shoots" (throws) the ball at B's backboard it would be considered a double dribble.

Is this correct? I'm sure if it isn't I will be corrected (dragged over the coals).
Only true if (a) the ball hit the backboard and (b) A2 was the first to touch the ball after it did so.

Neither of those items is given in the original play.

On the OP -- since "everyone" was going the wrong way (I assume), then I'd let that action stand. When A3 gets the rebound and starts going the opposite way, that's the time to blow the whistle and get everyone turned around. A's ball on the sideline for a throw-in going the "right way", no basket.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Only true if (a) the ball hit the backboard and (b) A2 was the first to touch the ball after it did so.
Even though the A2 picked up his dribble with both hands?

I only mention it in here because would it be the same if A2 was the player that tipped the ball back out to A3?
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 08:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Classic Line

[QUOTE=JugglingReferee]Then tell B coach that he will 2 of the next 3 AP throw-ins.[QUOTE]

Classic Line.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 08:52am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallender
Plus if you get in the habit of once you make the call, point the direction of the ball and call the color, you "should" get some help from the opposition.
If you don't "get some help" from them when you actually give the ball to the wrong team, I doubt you'll get the help when you simply point the wrong way.