The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Inbound Warning

Player A is inbounding ball form OB line. Player B is in front of him and reaches across line slapping ball. I know that you give the player a warning. Now, hee's the question. If another kid on the same team commits the same violation, do they get a warning also, or is this considered a technical, i.e. the first warning counted as a team warning as well? Is this a player T, team T, or bench T? Thanks.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

In Fed rules reaching ACROSS the boundary line and slapping the ball is a technical foul-not a warning.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

The warning would be for reaching through the boundary plane w/o striking the ball or the player. That would constitute a team warning. if another player on that team violates in that way again, then you have a tech
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 10:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
In Fed rules reaching ACROSS the boundary line and slapping the ball is a technical foul-not a warning.
As per NFHS rule 9-2-PENALTIES3. Gotta know these.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm not mistaken, I believe if a defender reaches through the plane and slaps the ball prior to a delay warning being in effect already, the subsequent technical foul also counts as a delay warning, so if another defender of the same team again reaches through the plane but doesn't touch the ball, that would also result in a technical foul. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
If I'm not mistaken, I believe if a defender reaches through the plane and slaps the ball prior to a delay warning being in effect already, the subsequent technical foul also counts as a delay warning, so if another defender of the same team again reaches through the plane but doesn't touch the ball, that would also result in a technical foul. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
It is a warning if they reach out of bounds NOT touching the ball. As soon as they touch the ball or the thrower it is a T.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

case book 9.2.10, technical foul for knocking it plus a DOG warning.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
It is a warning if they reach out of bounds NOT touching the ball. As soon as they touch the ball or the thrower it is a T.
Junker, Smitty is asking if that T also acts as the first warning for delay, so that a subsequent violation for delay by reaching over the boundary (or any other delay violation) would be a technical.

I'm not sure about this, but I've not seen anything that says it is a warning...edit...good casebook find stosh. It is a warning in addition to a T.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really? I don't think so.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Junker, Smitty is asking if that T also acts as the first warning for delay, so that a subsequent violation for delay by reaching over the boundary (or any other delay violation) would be a technical.

I'm not sure about this, but I've not seen anything that says it is a warning...edit...good casebook find stosh. It is a warning in addition to a T.
...and furthermore, it's a warning for any kind of delay, not just for reaching through the plane. From this point on, any of the official delay situations by that team, bring a T.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 02:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
...and furthermore, it's a warning for any kind of delay, not just for reaching through the plane. From this point on, any of the official delay situations by that team, bring a T.
Had this last night. Team A got a delay warning in Q1 for interfering with the ball after a made basket. In Q4, they reached across the boundary on an OOB play. T time.

In fact, team B reached across once and fouled the inbounder while she was still holding the ball - intentional foul.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the defender makes contact with the ball it is a technical foul . . . if the defender makes contact with the player it is an INTENTIONAL foul. I know someone will post the citation. JR is right . . . that is something you definitely NEED to know. It is too common in a typical game or season for this to not be common knowledge.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 01:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust

The defender may not break the imaginary plane during a throwin. If the defender breaks the imaginary plane during a throwin, the defender’s team will receive a team warning, or if the team has already been warned for one of the four delay situations, this action would result in a team technical foul. If the defender contacts the ball after breaking the imaginary plane, it is a player technical foul and a team warning will be recorded. If the defender fouls the inbounding player after breaking the imaginary plane, it is an intentional personal foul, and a team warning will be recorded.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=rainmaker]...and furthermore, it's a warning for any kind of delay, not just for reaching through the plane. From this point on, any of the official delay situations by that team, bring a T.[/QU

rainmaker could you please site rule or case reference to back up your statement. My association directs us to give a warning separately for each delay situation-subsequent violations earn the T.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 02:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFFICIAL
rainmaker could you please site rule or case reference to back up your statement. My association directs us to give a warning separately for each delay situation-subsequent violations earn the T.
Oh my.....

Rule change last year. See rule 9-2PENALTIES(1). That states one delay warning per team per game.

Also see case book play 10.1.5SitB(b)

Please set your association straight.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sat Jan 19, 2008 at 02:06pm.