The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tales from a 1st Year: Dumbass (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41103-tales-1st-year-dumbass.html)

ca_rumperee Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:41am

Tales from a 1st Year: Dumbass

Girls Freshman game. I'm lead. Players A1 and B1 fighting for a rebound. They bring it down. I blow Held Ball. Just after whistle B1 pushes A1 pretty hard (coming out of their death grip). I blow whistle a 2nd time for push on B1.

I go to my veteran partner. "Partner I have a jump ball and then a push on B1. He kind of scratches his whiskers like I had asked him who played 3rd base for the '67 Detroit Tigers.

We end up reversing the arrow and have a personal foul on B1. Ball given to Team A for inbounds.

I know in the back of my head that I've screwed this up. Of course no one in the gym for this freshman girls game knows any better. It takes about 2 minutes for me to realize what we should have done.

At least I went to my partner and we caucused (unlike another recent play I kicked).

I hope I don't have to kick each call in a "new" situation once in order to learn them enough to respond properly immediately in the future.

grunewar Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:47am

Been there, done that.

I find many times I am harder on myself, knowing I didn't make a proper call or use a proper signal, file it, and discuss it with my partner later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
Of course no one in the gym.....knows any better.

The fact that no one in the gym ,except maybe your partner, (if they in fact know) knows you did wrong is some small concellation to me as I gain more experience. Although, that don't make it right!

Junker Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:55am

Quote:

Girls Freshman game. I'm lead. Players A1 and B1 fighting for a rebound. They bring it down. I blow Held Ball. Just after whistle B1 pushes A1 pretty hard (coming out of their death grip). I blow whistle a 2nd time for push on B1.

I go to my veteran partner. "Partner I have a jump ball and then a push on B1. He kind of scratches his whiskers like I had asked him who played 3rd base for the '67 Detroit Tigers.

We end up reversing the arrow and have a personal foul on B1. Ball given to Team A for inbounds.

I know in the back of my head that I've screwed this up. Of course no one in the gym for this freshman girls game knows any better. It takes about 2 minutes for me to realize what we should have done.

At least I went to my partner and we caucused (unlike another recent play I kicked).

I hope I don't have to kick each call in a "new" situation once in order to learn them enough to respond properly immediately in the future.

So what do you think you should have done for the sake of discussion?

CoachP Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:16am

Quote:

The same guy who played third base for the 1968 World Series Champions Detroit Tigers, Don Wert.

Nevadaref Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:21am

Quote:

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...mages/doh2.gif
Don't worry, we're here to help make sure that doesn't happen. Just keep reading this forum. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar
The fact that no one in the gym ,except maybe your partner, (if they in fact know) knows you did wrong is some small concellation to me as I gain more experience. Although, that don't make it right!

Well, I don't think that we need to incarcerate him for his mistake. :D

ca_rumperee Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:25am

Well, once I blow the whistle...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
So what do you think you should have done for the sake of discussion?

.... for the held ball, the ball is dead. During a dead ball, contact between players is either to be ignored, or .... I believe.... that we would have had an intentional technical foul on B1.

Reverse arrow for held ball.
Team A shoots 2 with lane cleared.
Team A ball at the division line.

Now, that is what I realized after two minutes, but before putting my a$$ on the line here I did verify.;)

RSmith Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:28am

I agree

This forum is great for new guys like me and others. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!:D

Dan_ref Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:30am

Quote:

.... for the held ball, the ball is dead. During a dead ball, contact between players is either to be ignored, or .... I believe.... that we would have had an intentional technical foul on B1.

Now, that is what I realized after two minutes, but before putting my a$$ on the line here I did verify.;)

The intentional T wipes out the held ball under HS & ncaa mens rules so don't touch the arrow. Not sure what ncaa w do, I believe it's POI. If that's the case then you shoot the FTs then go to the held ball throw-in. In any case do not reverse the arrow until the throw-in is completed.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:31am

Quote:

The contact is ignored unless it's intentional or flagrant, and then it's an IT or FT foul.

The arrow isn't reversed until the AP throw-in ends. Since there won't be an AP throw-in, the arrow stays the same.

As I read the play, I'd go with the held ball and just admonish B1 to stop play when the whistle blows (but you were there and I wasn't and only you can know whether the contact meets the definition of intentional).

I agree that Don Wert is the correct answer to the real question posed. ;)

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:32am

Quote:

<font color = red>Reverse arrow for held ball.</font>

Are you sure that the arrow should be reversed?

JoeT Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:32am

Quote:

Well now remember, I'm just a dumb old coach...

But...

If you called the T (I think the only type of foul possible during a dead ball, right), why would you change the arrow since it was never used to determine possession?

cmckenna Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:33am

Quote:

The only thing I don't think is right here is the changing of the arrow. Although you called a held ball, you never used the AP procedure so the arrow would not change. Remember, the arrow only changes once the AP throw-in is completed or the throwing in team violates.

I do agree though that the push was dead ball contact and either had to be considered incidental or you have to go with the T.

edited to add: WOW 4 posts all saying the same thing at the same time..... And they say we refs can't agree on things...

Nevadaref Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:34am

Quote:

<strike>Reverse arrow for held ball.</strike>

Dan's right. Here's the correct NFHS procedure. Since there is no AP throw-in there is no reason to reverse the arrow.

ca_rumperee Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:36am

word. wort. wert!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...4topps-019.jpg

Nevadaref Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:38am

Wow, multiple responses in the few minutes that it took me to craft a post!

It kind of looks like we're all jumping on the poor guy, but I'm sure that's not the case. Sometimes the posts just come fast and furious. ;)

So CA, how does that @ss which you put on the line feel after the beating it just took? :D