The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

hey guys

i am not an official, but i am a big basketball fan. i have two questions.

1. does the clock start when a player has complete possession of the ball or does it start if someone simply makes contact with the ball?

2. what is the proper way to inform the scorekeeper of a technical? do you inform the table that the player was swearing or do you just say tech. foul on #34 blue?

hope everyone understands my question.

thank you
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

1) on contact.
2) T on #34 Blue
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy40
[1. does the clock start when a player has complete possession of the ball or does it start if someone simply makes contact with the ball?
Just to elaborate on "1" : Start the clock on a player touch on a released throw-in, jump ball, or when a rebounder touches a missed free throw that is to remain live (the last free throw).

In other words, touching or holding the ball for a FT or Throw-in does not start the clock.

[Edited by Slider on Feb 13th, 2002 at 06:00 PM]
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

The clock should start when the official chops in time. That means when the official with raised hand drops his hand. This should coincide with the ball being touched by a player inbounds.

On reporting technicals it is just like reporting any other foul. Report team color, number and foul. You see a lot of officials really wind up to call the T in an angry demonstrative manner. If you're even tempered and consistent about your T's as well as your other fouls it makes for being a better official.

Jeremy, why not become an official? If you're a big fan, officiating is a great way have fun with the game and get a little cash to boot. Plus, it's better than having seats in the front row.