The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
If I remember correctly, you are in the D.C. area. Why not come over to CBOA? We are always looking for officials. You would be an anomaly at the rec level -- you actually know the rules.
I would love to start reffing AAU/JV/Rec ball for CBOA (or any of the other associations around DC), but I don't have a car with me at college. If the mileage fee includes car rental, I'm there!
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

I really don't know how you guys do it, working rec leagues all the time. I worked a tournament this weekend and was disgusted at the level of unsportsmanship from the players and coaches. Believe it or not, didn't have many problems with the fans. The levels were from 4th grade girls to 8th grade boys and we went back and forth every game so it was a little hard adjusting from one game to the next. I was working with guys that do D-II college and high school and had coaches telling their kids how bad we were and not to worry about it. The worst team I had twice and they got into a fight after the game with the other teams coach because there girl (5th grade) bent a girls hand backwards in the shake hands line after beating them by 25. Their girls whined about every call, the assistant coach approached me during a time out and suggested I was taking the rest of the game off because they had a 20 point lead. The only funny thing I had was in the second game I had with the unsporting team they were winning by 10 in the fourth quarter, other team had the ball and girl is dribbling down the court, I'll call them team B. Team A girl reaches in across her body and I call a foul, report it and tell them two shots. Team B girl turns to me and says "but, she didn't touch me", I said "don't tell me that, go shoot your free throws". My partner and I had a good laugh over that one.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 09:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

I cannot believe it took you so long.

I have not done a rec game of any kind sense my first year. I will not ever do them again.

But then again, I lived in an area where rec. games are basicially Men's leagues. Maybe some consider AAU to be the same thing (which I do on a rare occasion). But I would only do games that were related to schools, not some sponsor. But then again, the definition is different from on local to another.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 09:59pm
In Memoriam

Same here.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I have not done a rec game of any kind sense my first year. I will not ever do them again.

But then again, I lived in an area where rec. games are basicially Men's leagues. Maybe some consider AAU to be the same thing (which I do on a rare occasion). But I would only do games that were related to schools, not some sponsor. But then again, the definition is different from on local to another.

Peace
Rut,
Our Rec League is men, also.
My partner is the assignor, but I haven't worked this year.
A couple of times when offered, I told him I would work rather than see him work alone. But he's found someone to work those games.
I hafta watch West Wing that night anyway.
mick
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 09:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Rec leagues are just the most fun, aren't they? Two Saturdays ago, I'm doing a 6th grade boys game in my local league. I've been on the Board of the league for 12 years, so I usually don't get any flak from anyone. The game was really close and both teams were 6-0 going in. Of course, coming out, one team was going to be 7-0 and the other 6-1 - duh.

Immediately after the game, a parent from the losing team came up to me and asked me if the reason I "didn't call any fouls" was because I wanted to get the game over with quickly. I just stared at the moron and then told him it would be in his best interests to leave immediately without saying another word. To his credit, he did.

This Saturday, I had the same team. This time, they won by about 12. In the last minute, one of their players with the ball was bumped near the sideline and I called the push on the opponent. It wasn't a huge bump and the dribbler had a fairly clear path to the basket (although you never know at that level what may happen), but I had been calling less contact than that a foul the entire game, so the whistle just went off instinctively.

Their coach said, "Mark, you could have let that one go." I knew he meant he thought his kid was going to get an easy layup. I stopped and stared right at the fan from the previous week and said in a loud voice, "Yeah, normally I would let that one go, but I didn't want some moron in the stands to think I just wanted to go home early."

Everyone turned to look at the guy. When the game was over, he just walked quickly and directly out of the gym. The coach came over to me and said he knew I would never put anything above player safety and that in his 5 years in the league, never had any problem with the level of contact I called, including the previous week.

I just said, "OK", because I very rarely take anything a rec coach says with any validity, even compliments.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
The game was really close and both teams were 6-0 going in. Of course, coming out, one team was going to be 7-0 and the other 6-1 - duh.
You mean you aren't going to have some weird sitch where the refs approve a tie score, so each team gets half a victory?
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I cannot believe it took you so long.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I was wondering what took so long for this post to appear!

Rec games can be good for young officials. My opinion concerning this has not changed. I have continued to work because I was needed and wanted to help the people who have helped me. I'd do it again if i had it to do over. But right now, it's simply time to move on.

Quote:
This is true. There are different situations, depending on where one lives. In my area, if it weren't for people like myself, many kids would not have an opportunity to play basketball. That, in itself, is important enough for me to work these games.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 06:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: I cannot believe it took you so long.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

I was wondering what took so long for this post to appear!

Rec games can be good for young officials. My opinion concerning this has not changed. I have continued to work because I was needed and wanted to help the people who have helped me. I'd do it again if i had it to do over. But right now, it's simply time to move on.

This is true. There are different situations, depending on where one lives. In my area, if it weren't for people like myself, many kids would not have an opportunity to play basketball. That, in itself, is important enough for me to work these games. [/B]
These are all true if you want officials to get so frustrated that they quit. But then again, your definition of rec. leagues are vastly different than my definition.

And even AAU games can be a nightmare for young officials. Where else can you learn to get called everything in the book and the participants have very little consequences for their actions.

I like to stick to school run games, at least they have a much greater of responsibility and accountability for all involved. That is where you really learn the craft. Not by doing a league that a bunch of adults run a league and try to live in the past.

Peace