The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RX Ref
I had a girl injured during a Jr high game tonite. Her mother came out of the stands, It looked like she was a nurse from the way she assesed the situation, then the father also came out. I usually do not mind when the parents come out in this level of games, but this time the father has a few comments about how it is my fault, and she is getting hammered under there, and " you gotta call something dude." I didn't say anything because I was more concerned about his daughter, and figured he was probally just upset. He eventually helped her off along with the coach and the mother. Would anyone have done anything differently?
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

I cant imagine anything positive resulting from making any comment to the parent. That is their baby and someone must be at fault for their pain. I would walk away without saying anything.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 04:50am
In Memoriam

It's hard to tell from your post exactly where you were,but what I recommend is that you get right away from the injured player as soon as the coach/trainer,etc gets there.It's not a matter of you not having concern for the injured player,but of letting the proper people deal with the injury.It also means that you don't have to decide whether or not you want to deal with an inappropriate comment.Nothing pi**es me off more than someone yapping at me BEFORE they even look at the injured player.If I'm not there,they usually will not try to bother me-at least until they've assessed the player,and done something for them.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RX Ref
I Try to stay by the player because....

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
It's hard to tell from your post exactly where you were,but what I recommend is that you get right away from the injured player as soon as the coach/trainer,etc gets there.It's not a matter of you not having concern for the injured player,but of letting the proper people deal with the injury.It also means that you don't have to decide whether or not you want to deal with an inappropriate comment.Nothing pi**es me off more than someone yapping at me BEFORE they even look at the injured player.If I'm not there,they usually will not try to bother me-at least until they've assessed the player,and done something for them.
I was right near the player, I have 7 years experience working in an emergency room and on a trauma team so although I usually don't say too much , I do speak up if I disagree with the coach's way of dealing with the injury. Some trainers are bettter than others and I just want to make sure that a bad decision is not made in a serious injury. But the Dad did yap BEFORE he got to his daughter. Makes you wonder.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

good job, just let it go.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Re: I Try to stay by the player because....

Quote:
Originally posted by RX Ref

I was right near the player, I have 7 years experience working in an emergency room and on a trauma team so although I usually don't say too much , I do speak up if I disagree with the coach's way of dealing with the injury. Some trainers are bettter than others and I just want to make sure that a bad decision is not made in a serious injury. But the Dad did yap BEFORE he got to his daughter. Makes you wonder. [/B]
Let me first say that I understand your concern for the treatment of the injured player. I don't believe any of us want to see a player laying on the floor in one of our games, but it happens. I would, however, heed the advise of JR and call the coach to attend to the player and get away from area. By getting away from the area you avoid confrontation with coach or parents. BTW, you never know if some legal liability may result from a sitch like this. Anyway, better safe than sorry.

Mike